Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Sportback Newer to the United States, the Lancer line offers a sporty compact sedan, with all of the fine styling of the performance minded Evolution.

Gas flowing out of exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2021, 09:10 PM
Default Gas flowing out of exhaust

I have a 2003 Lancer OZ Rally that is either not burning fuel correctly or is seeping too much fuel and I have no idea why. So much gas is going into the engine that it's leaking through the exhaust manifold in front of the engine. The problem originated with the car not having any acceleration and stalling on occasion. I found out that both catalytic converters had been clogged so I replaced both of them for direct fit Magnaflow Cats and that helped get some acceleration back and it started stalling less frequently. Compression is at 130 PSI on all 4 cylinders. I also have no check engine light on but I know that the car is misfiring because the engine is running rich and the cat is glowing red (presumably because of the unburnt fuel) and it begins to leak through the engine head and exhaust manifold gasket.

I've already replaced the following and the issue still hasn't been corrected:
  • Both Ignition Coils and wireset
  • All spark plugs
  • Fuel regulator (three times)
  • MAP Sensor
  • MAF Sensor
  • TPS Sensor
  • Front ECU
  • Downstream HO2 Sensor

I seriously don't know what else to change or check. Does anyone have any idea what it could be?