Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Sportback Newer to the United States, the Lancer line offers a sporty compact sedan, with all of the fine styling of the performance minded Evolution.

The Lancer Sportback and Ralliart Sportback

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2008, 11:40 AM
Administrator
Default The Lancer Sportback and Ralliart Sportback

Mitsubishi has been eluding to the release of a five-door “Sportback” model, and considering that the Lancer’s biggest competition, the Subaru Impreza, has received the hatch-back treatment, it was only a matter of time before Mitsubishi countered. The Paris Motor Show brought the debut of the new form of the Lancer, and while the Sportback is intended to offer more function and room than the sedan model, Mitsu was quick to offer a Ralliart model for those who want a little bang for their buck.

The Sportback engine options for the European market begin with either a 1.5 or 1.8L four cylinder engine, but a 2.0 litre turbocharged diesel is available, and for those who want more performance, the Ralliart models come packed with a 2.0 litre turbocharged MIVEC four cylinder making 237 horsepower and 253 lb-ft of torque. Along with the added power, the Ralliart models come with some performance bits from the Evolution, such as the Dual-Clutch SST transmission and the Active Center Differential, so help the Sportback Ralliart handle the corners at speed and aid with driving at normal speeds in poor conditions.

The Sportback, in both forms, is expected to hit European showrooms late in 2008, and while there are no public plans to offer them in the US, the popularity of both the sedan Lancer, and the cross-town rival Impreza, we figure that its only a matter of time before it hits stateside.

Old 04-15-2009, 09:27 AM

am' ready to trade my 08 dude, tried it for ralliart but mitsu is gettin greedy somehow. but hey those sport back versions, nice!

Old 02-08-2010, 11:12 AM
Default 2004 Lancer Sportback

Altho the new sportback looks nice, I prefer mine. Yes, it's boxier: which gives me LOTS more cargo space. In fact, thanks to the tall roof I fit more in the back of my Sportback than most SUVs can fit. I'm a musician and can haul my keys, amps, guitars, etc., and (thanks to the split-seat) still fit in my 2 kids. That ain't gonna happen with the new sportback.

BTW - the 162 hp engine in my 2004 Sportback really motivates this vehicle, and the 4-wheel disc brakes are awesome even with a full load. The car has been very reliable - the only problems: 2 bogus "check engine" lights, and I just had to replace the rear disc brake pads at 29,000 miles (real ez, DIY for $40!).

My only gripe is the gas mileage (around 22-23 mpg). But then again, I' m a leadfoot, and drive mostly around town, hardly ever on highways.

I'd love to hear from other Sportback owners - i know there's not many out there!

Mick

Old 09-08-2010, 03:18 PM

Our 2010 GTS is a silver one. 2.4 liter with cvt. The sedan has a deeper trunk to fit items althought the sportback has a taller rear-end due to the hatch. It does seem the sedan has more cargo space.

It turn heads though since there's not many of them and they wonder what the heck it is from behind.

Old 09-18-2010, 01:59 PM

I've had my 2010 GTS Sportback since late July, I'm still waiting to see another one. tm

Old 09-19-2010, 10:07 PM

2010 Lancer GTS.White.
Got mine in mid-July.
Absolutely love it

Old 10-10-2010, 11:39 AM

Ive got the GTS Sportback and am really excited about it. Its Octane Blue with gold wheels (which I like because I think its a slap in the face to the original sti colors ). I will say though, I am not a fan of the CVT paddle shifters...I love a MT. But with some upgrades in mind, it could turn out to be really fun in the end. Ive got a lot plans for her especially after yesterday when some ******* in his brand new sti had to show me up on the highway...what can you do???

Old 10-25-2010, 01:31 PM

09 Lancer GTS manual. Love my car! I checked out the sport backs a couple months ago. They are awesome looking but if you get one prepare to lose some serious rear headroom and cargo space (the 4 door has like 2x the cargo space).

Old 11-22-2010, 02:30 AM

Hi All,

I acquires a Lancer Sportback 2010 few weeks ago and I would like to now if an "auto lock" of the door when the car reaches a speed is available and can be activated ?
Is somebody can help me ?

Thank

Old 12-30-2010, 11:57 PM

Just purchased 2011 Lancer sportback ES with the CVT transmission. The manual calls for 0W-20 oil.......does anyone know if I can use a 5W-20 or 5W-30 oil in the car. It has the new 2.0L (4B11) engine in it.

Quick Reply: The Lancer Sportback and Ralliart Sportback