Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Sportback Newer to the United States, the Lancer line offers a sporty compact sedan, with all of the fine styling of the performance minded Evolution.

My Lancer Will Not Start

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2010, 10:27 PM
Default My Lancer Will Not Start

I purchased a new 2010 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS Sportback on May 1,2010 and the vehicle only had ten miles on the odometer. Three week after owning this vehicle my check engine light came on and I was experiencing hesitation problems along with delayed starting. When I arrived to at the dealership on 05/21/2010 they took my car around the block and ensured me that nothing was wrong.

I took my vehicle home and not to long after I started having the hesitation problems and delayed starting again so I called the dealership and informed them I was already there once with the same issue. After bringing it back on 10/15/2010 I was told nothing was wrong and was sent on my way.

After having the shop look at my car I felt assured nothing was wrong but yet again the problems arose. I brought my vehicle back on 11/24/2010 and the shop wanted to hold the vehicle for a couple days and try to mimic the issues. I received a call two hours after leaving from and they stated “Mitsubishi is aware of the problem but at this present time they do not know how to fix the issue.” They provided me with a Tech Line Case #139784 that I can use to call Mitsubishi and have them clarify any questions I might have.

I called Mitsubishi Corporate and spoke with Melanie and she stated that Mitsubishi is aware of the problem related to the Tech Line Case #139784 but did not disclose any other information to me. She did insist that because the shop cannot mimic the issue there is nothing that can be done.

Is anyone else experiencing these issues?

Old 12-05-2010, 07:17 AM

I suggest you start looking in to lemon law provisions where you live and don't let too much time and too many miles pass before you seriously consider it. Your situation of multiple visits to service with no solution is exactly what lemon laws require.
"Can't fix it" and "don't know what's wrong" is not something you should be expected to live with with no solution in sight.

Old 12-05-2010, 06:43 PM

That is the route I am taking but I wanted to know if anyone else was experiencing the same problems and/or if they were able to find any solution.

Old 12-06-2010, 09:28 AM

Your issue sounds fuel delivery related to me. Strangely enough on mycarstats.com, the 2010 Lancer has one bulletin that I've posted below. This bulletin may not be related to your issue at all, but it tells you there are fuel delivery system issues with components in the Lancer. Good luck with the lemon pursuit, I'd focus on that versus helping them figure out the problem.

from: http://mycarstats.com/reports/mitsub...omplaints.aspx

MFG Bulletin Date: 10/01/2009

Component: FUEL SYSTEM, GASOLINE: DELIVERY:HOSES, LINES/PIPING, AND FITTINGS

Bulletin Summary: MITSUBISHI: FUEL RETURN PIPE REMOVAL/INSTALLATION-SERVICE MANUAL REVISION. THE VEHICLES HAVE A REDESIGNED FUEL RETURN PIPE WHICH HAS TWO ADDITIONAL BRACKETS. THIS BULLETIN PROVIDES UPDATED FUEL RETURN PIPE REMOVAL AND INSTALLATION SERVIC

Date added to datbase: 08/09/2010

Last edited by Fe2O3; 12-07-2010 at 01:31 PM.
Old 12-06-2010, 08:08 PM

Thank you for the luck and the and trying to figure out if anyone has found a resolution to this issue since it is embarrassing when you go to start your car in a public area and it doesn't start the first couple tries. The main thing I don't understand is if Mitsubishi is aware of the problem why they don’t recall their cars. My hesitation gets so bad it acts like it's going to shut off when I am traveling down the road which could be hazardous. Not as bad as Toyotas accelerating themselves off cliffs.

Old 12-08-2010, 12:59 AM

Keep us posted. I've got a new gts sportback with 3k miles on it. No issues with starting so far. I'll see if it's weather related as it's getting really cold in the east right now. We get the coldest weather around Feb. so we'll see.

what I've noticed is an intermittent clinking sound when turning the steering wheel.

Seems to be coming from the steering assembly.I'll be having this looked at soon.

Old 12-08-2010, 03:10 AM

I also have the same problem with hearing noises when I turnbut I never paid it any mind. The fuel problem started with a check engine light "After three weeks" that is not traceable and it went down hill from there. I am still waiting to hear back from the lawyer.

Old 12-09-2010, 12:25 AM

do you know what code it was?? check engine light. i havent had any lancers with that issue, but i am going to do a little research and post again soon. just a little FYI, if mitsubishi says its aware of the problem, that means its an issue that hasnt been very common or reported, and they are in the process of finding the fix for the issue. most likely it will be a reflash of the pcm. working for mitsubishi dealers for 22 years i have seen this happen several times, and they have always found a fix, or what they call a countermeasure to take care of the issue. give them a some time, call melanie back for an update. posting again soon.

Old 12-09-2010, 12:36 AM

They could not find the code when I brought it back to the dealership. I don't know what Mitsubishi you work for but I was told that they are aware of the problem and that many vehicles are experiencing this same issue. I was given a tech line number and was told that when they find a resolution to the problem they would contact me. As far as giving them sometime it has been seven months that I have been having the same issue and I’m about fed up with the nonsense. All that this is showing me is that once again Mitsubishi is an unreliable manufacturer.

Old 12-09-2010, 11:00 PM

did a little research, and could not find anything on this issue. i see your in new jersey, i'm in louisianna. sometimes different area's due to weather conditions ect.. cars react different to temperature and humidty. snow is also a factor.also gasoline is mixed differently for north and south regions. working at mitsubishi dealerships for 22 years the extreme heat down here we see alot of a/c issues, and misfire/fuel issues. one thing i am aware of is using gasoline with more than a 10% ethanol mix is causing ALOT of issues in all newer model mitsubishi vehicles. check engine lights, extended crank times especially when hot, and stalling on heavy acceleration. all this info isnt an excuse, just letting you know some insider info on a few things. keep calling the people at mitsubishi. i hope it all works out for you.

Quick Reply: My Lancer Will Not Start