Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Sportback Newer to the United States, the Lancer line offers a sporty compact sedan, with all of the fine styling of the performance minded Evolution.

New owner of an '08 GTS, looking for tips on engine

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2007, 06:34 PM
Default New owner of an '08 GTS, looking for tips on engine

Hey all, new member here. Just bought an '08 Lancer GTS, and must say, I absolutely love this car. I was just wondering what the best way to break in the new engine is?

Old 04-16-2007, 11:09 PM
Default RE: New owner of an '08 GTS, looking for tips on engine

taking it easy for the first 1000, I was told. I got the ES

Old 04-20-2007, 08:24 PM

My advice dont run hard for a while maybe after your first maintnce incase there anything wrong they would know right away and wouldnt blame you and enough time for your KAM memory to be set up and follow yourmaitnce schedule, And you shoudlnt have any problems. BTW how does the no shift thing feel like ?

Old 04-20-2007, 11:26 PM

I got the 5-speed...I drove the cvt with the paddles and was impressed with the upshift, it had no lag. I am sure it will be great for traffic but I prefer to control the redline and everything with the clutch and the stick.

Old 05-09-2007, 06:46 PM

[&:]Hey im sorry to bring this post back to you guys, but I was wondering how the new 2008 Lancer is? Ive never test drove one or I have never seen one in person lol. Im planning on buying one though in June and Ive done tons and tons of research on this car and I am pretty impressed. But ya could you give me some details on how it drives and how the automatic drives as well? Thanks. Sorry for the newb post.

Old 06-06-2007, 11:09 PM

I own a GTS 5-speed and I can honestly say it is well worth your money. Easily the best bang for your buck in it class (Civic, Mazda3, Sentra, etc.) My recommendation is the 5 speed for the most control, but if you really want the paddle shifters you will get a slower ride. The engine is average, althoughI would not say underwhelming like the dipstick who hasnt driven one. It does out-accelerate all competitors but the Mazda3 (which is turboed) not to mention the aftermarket parts will be abundant once the new Evolution X comes out (they will share the same 2.0 liter MIVEC engine). Not to mention this is oneHOT looking car.

Old 06-06-2007, 11:11 PM

To answer the original post, the manual says the break-in period is 300 miles. But I wouldmt trust that thing farther than I could spit it. Be on the safe side and take it easy for at least the first thou.

Old 06-07-2007, 12:53 AM

ORIGINAL: Cruz

Hey all, new member here. Just bought an '08 Lancer GTS, and must say, I absolutely love this car. I was just wondering what the best way to break in the new engine is?
Heres the proper procedures according to this guy: https://mitsubishiforum.com/m_95354/tm.htm
I think its kinda lame, not everyone gets their new car with 0 miles of the lot, mine had 100, so I guess that means I never got to breack in my motor? [sm=exactly.gif]

Old 06-08-2007, 08:25 AM

Going easy (like less than 2000 rpm) for the first 300 miles will help a lot on engine's break-in period. Others recommend a 1000 miles as the break-in period, but then the manual says only 300 miles. Maybe after that 300 miles I can go up to 2500 rpm until i reach a 1000 miles.

Old 06-11-2007, 04:39 AM

I've heard the reasons of the break in method ofMotoman. What I haven't heard is the break in period of the dealership method.
What are the benefits of breaking in a motor the way it's suggested by the factory?

Quick Reply: New owner of an '08 GTS, looking for tips on engine