Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Sportback Newer to the United States, the Lancer line offers a sporty compact sedan, with all of the fine styling of the performance minded Evolution.

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2007, 07:21 PM
Default Newbie

Hey guys I'm an avid Ford Pickup big 4x4 v8 driver. I had an 88 mitsu pickup back in the day and loved it i swear it was just as tough as my f150. But with gas prices and Iran and other world events im thinkin i better start conserving a lil bit 14mph aint cuttin it.
I was lookin at the new lancer on the mitsu website full loaded with my options it comes to 19k with manual tranny. Ihad the highest options package GLS maybe? I can'tremember what its called but it wasn't the evo or w/e its called.Would ya'll recommend the manual or cvt? I want the manual for fun basically.

Do ya'll actually get the 29 mpg? better or worse?

Do things like cold air intakes help these cars mpg wise? What kind of maintenance do they require? Whats ya'lls biggest complaints with the cars?

Thanks for helpin out a newbie!

Old 04-12-2007, 01:39 AM
Default RE: Newbie

Well while ya'll are readin and respondin to this let me throw out another question. I have not test driven them yet. But CVT with paddle shifters or Manual? I had a Mitsu truck a while back that was manual and I loved drivin stick and miss it alot. But at the same time an automatic is a nice luxury especially when you have the option to shift it. What do ya'll think?

Old 04-12-2007, 04:16 PM

To me, the paddles are all hype. I like downshifting and getting the most til redline. Although it has "no lag" when upshifting, the nice about is you dont have to worry about the clutch in traffic. That is my opinion but to each is own.

Old 04-12-2007, 04:47 PM

dude i can honestly say that if you love the feeling of shifting then stick with manual. with paddle shifting you get the chance to feel your cars true potential HAHAHA

Old 04-12-2007, 11:11 PM

I drove one today a fully loaded GTS with CVT. They did not have any manuals in yet. I was highly impressed with the paddle shifters. I've driven vehicles with spor shifting or w/e u wanna call it before and it always left more to be desiered with slow up/down shifts and stuff like that. But the paddle shifters were real snappy on the shifts quick firm shifts so I may end up with paddles and a cvt after I drive a stick.

Old 04-13-2007, 08:38 PM

cool, try the 5 speed just to make sure. How did you like the cornering and the rockford fosgate.

Old 04-14-2007, 02:36 AM

I was at work and on the clock. Plus it was the managers car, not for sale. The sound system was nice but I did not get to jam it. The cornering was nice, the ride was great, and the steering was spot on. Waiting for the next shipment to test drive the 5 speed then really drive the cvt by myself.

Old 04-16-2007, 12:20 AM

How well do these things hold up with their 2L 4 cylender? What kind of maintenance do they take? Whats the life span of one of these cars?

Old 04-16-2007, 11:10 PM

ORIGINAL: nawgee

dude i can honestly say that if you love the feeling of shifting then stick with manual. with paddle shifting you get the chance to feel your cars true potential HAHAHA
Thats what the 5-speed is for...the driver controls the redline and the sport tronic will eventually shift to a higher gear because the computer told it to do so.

I personally had other dsms...mighty max...1g eclipse gst...galant...starion...2g gst and now my lancer and I can say I have not had anything major for the 150k miles I put on them. The mighty max, I tried driving into the ground with 175k on it and it would not die.

Old 04-16-2007, 11:55 PM

My ignorance is showing. I am not familiar with the abbreviation "dsms" "1g" "gst"(I assume it was an options package on the eclipse?) I do not remember know the starion 2g. But I think gst is the package I am looking at on the lancer, what does that stand for?

Quick Reply: Newbie