Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Sportback Newer to the United States, the Lancer line offers a sporty compact sedan, with all of the fine styling of the performance minded Evolution.

OBD II Cable and Software

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2008, 12:51 AM
Default OBD II Cable and Software

HI, everyone. Have my CEL on. Want to check the code of the problem. Don't have any Autoparts Store that will do that fr free in my area, so since me and a lot of my friends needed it before, needs now or will need it in the future, decided to by my set (not to pay from 30$ to 90$ everytime they (mechanics) insert the cable in the car, think it's a rip off ). So, I checked on-line and it says my car (03 Lancer OZ Rally Automatic) has a OBD II. So I need a OBD II cable. And the software.
I found a "good" software EvoScan for about 25$ and it says it can do a lot. But I can't decide on a cable, the same site with the EvoScan, retails the good cable for 99$, and I was thinking, all the OBD II cables are the same? Because I can easly buy one from eBay for around 20$. I know the qulity and materials can be different, but my concerne is the compatibility. Also as I found out the so known OpenPort cable..... 1.3...2.0..is it backward compatibile? will 2.0 do the same job (on compatibility) and some more than 1.3?
Also, I am thinking about Intake... by reading the forum I understood that there is SRI and CAI. Tried to find one for automatic....nothing. Found on Road Race M, a SRI for Auto Tran. With K&N filter and Carbon support. So the question is, is there a CAI for Auto Trany and is the K&N filter good? is the Injen or AEM better? Can I cahge the filter on the Road Race M intake?
I hope this will not bore you to red an dhope to get help as soon as possible.
Thank you.

Old 10-27-2008, 08:55 PM
Default RE: OBD II Cable and Software

NObody? ...

Old 10-28-2008, 11:42 AM

Well you have to fabricate it.

good luck SRI or CAIfor automaticsdoesn't sound really good.

compared to Manuals

Old 10-30-2008, 12:10 AM

I understand that, I hate auto, but I wasn't able to found a car at a good price on manual and in the time I had to do it.
What do you mean by, doesn't sound good? Can I brake my transmission,or it means...it will not sound like it sounds on a manual?
What did you said to fabricate? Is it the cable or SRI, I saw you posted a thread how to do the SRI.
Anyway I still don't know what to do with the cable. Can anybody help me?
Thanks for reply BEAT.
Waiting for others... SEBBA...

Old 11-03-2008, 08:50 AM

All mechanic will do it for you for free. Just ask them to check on engine light OBD. they will check it and erasethe code.

they will ask you do you want to Fix the problem?
Auto Zone will do it for free.

Old 11-03-2008, 06:32 PM

Everywhere I checked my CEL from my previous car (Eclipse GS), I paid for that. 30$ , 50$.... and I had to pay 90$ in one place but I didn't pay for that because I payed for the repair... The only way to do it free is AutoZone, but the nearest AutoZone is in the neighbor state...that's 1,5 driving....
In my town there is just Napa and Car Quest. Anyway, I want the cable to be able to repair it by my self. Also, as I found out, I can check everything in my car , from temperature from different sensors, to flash, reflash the setings, to get more power...or even use GPS for the times on a lap (in case I will go to a circuit track, wich is my dream).... I will use it in diferent ways.... My question is...OBDII cables are the same ? Or I need a specific cable for my car (in this case I don't understand why is the OBDII standart a "standart").....

Also my question about SRI ? Why is it bad for auto tran...and is it K&N intake good...

Thank you.

Old 11-08-2008, 12:09 AM

call/email someone on Diablo Sport.com
they have a lotttt of products running thru that port
i had a charger r/t bfore, to tune american cars is soo easy, just buy a Diablo, play with the settings and you have 15hp more at the RWeels. you can data log your performance in you laptop, email the file to tunners, they "fixed" and send you back a custm tune.
is just wonderfull
you can backup your "factory" settings, put it back to take the car to the dealer (if need it)
oh man, i mess those times