Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Sportback Newer to the United States, the Lancer line offers a sporty compact sedan, with all of the fine styling of the performance minded Evolution.

OEM Exhaust vs Aftermarket?

Old 03-29-2009, 07:20 PM
Default OEM Exhaust vs Aftermarket?

Hi, I have my Check Engine Light on, I checked the code and it says something about the temperature in the catback is too low, or something like that. It was a recall for that, but unfortunately I had 99000 when I got the light and didn't check the code or a mecanic until 101000 , so my warranty is done, past...
Now I am thinking, that instead of geting the new OEM cat, I want a aftermarket CatBack (wnated before the problems) , wich I hope will give me ~6-8 more HP and a good sound and maybe...just maybe...it will make may Check Engine Light dissapear....

1) Question... is my Engine Light going to dissapear?
2) Will I have any problems with the emissions with the Aftermarket CatBack
3) What brand/model will you recommend for a deep sound, I don't want it loud and high like the ones you can hear one some civic's

Old 03-30-2009, 06:17 AM

No because probably your cat back is not the problem Must be your oxygen sensor. they usually go busted around that mileage and catalyctic converter usually last a life time. it was design to last long. except if you live in snowy place with lots of salts.

You always reinstall the catalyctic converter your engine light will always on if you don't and it is Illegal to remove the Catalyctic converter.

Old 03-30-2009, 07:10 PM
Super Moderator

First you need to post the dtc (diagnostic trouble code). Go to autozone, they'll scan it for free.

Old 04-11-2009, 03:02 AM

Originally Posted by Symyon
Hi, I have my Check Engine Light on, I checked the code and it says something about the temperature in the catback is too low, or something like that. It was a recall for that, but unfortunately I had 99000 when I got the light and didn't check the code or a mecanic until 101000 , so my warranty is done, past...
Now I am thinking, that instead of geting the new OEM cat, I want a aftermarket CatBack (wnated before the problems) , wich I hope will give me ~6-8 more HP and a good sound and maybe...just maybe...it will make may Check Engine Light dissapear....

1) Question... is my Engine Light going to dissapear?
2) Will I have any problems with the emissions with the Aftermarket CatBack
3) What brand/model will you recommend for a deep sound, I don't want it loud and high like the ones you can hear one some civic's

answers
1) only if you clear them.
2)High NOX-heat.activated gas.Make sure the piping size is the same+use stock resonator
3) Stay stock-loudest vehicle gets most attention=fat refferee ticket

Last edited by Blck3G; 04-11-2009 at 02:57 PM.
Old 04-11-2009, 07:47 AM

first, we have no idea your code.
second, we have no idea your car.

we need data.

Old 04-12-2009, 12:53 AM

Sorry about that.. the car is a 2003 Lancer OZ Edition A/T.
I will try to scan my code Tomorrow and will post.

Thank you for everybody that is helping me.