Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Sportback Newer to the United States, the Lancer line offers a sporty compact sedan, with all of the fine styling of the performance minded Evolution.

Oil Change Reminder

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2008, 12:02 PM
Default Oil Change Reminder

Hey Guys i'm new here, but had a question and i'm hoping you guys can help. I havea 2008 Lancer and I had the oil changed for the first time at 6700 miles (i'm driving down to NC next week and by the time I get back that'll put me over the 7500K mark). My question is though when I got the oil changed at the dealership I noticed that the "Service Reminder" on the dash still said 1,000 miles left for service. I asked them to reset it for me, and instead of going back to 7 months / 7 thousand miles, it added the exsisting miles onto the 7500! It now said 9 months or 8300 miles.[/align][/align]I asked the guy and all he said was he wasn't sure and he think's that the timers are junk anyway. Regardless if their junk or not, it helped me keep track and I liked it. Is there any way to get it back to 7500? Or reset it without having it add whatever miles were on it when reset early?[/align][/align]Thanks![/align]Mike[/align]

Old 06-20-2008, 12:49 PM
Default RE: Oil Change Reminder

you should have waited until you came back from your trip.

Do not worry about the stupid service reminder it is only a reminder.

turn off your car put the key on ACCEssories and press the button until it reach the Service reminder take note the car is not running okay.

press and hold the button until the service reminder is reset simple task and nosweat. i think the next service reminder is 16,000 or 18,000 it counts backwards until

Mine is 28,000 miles I never follow the reminder I do my own calculation.

Old 06-20-2008, 01:00 PM

It is not oil change reminder it is a reminder for all services a step by step Maintenance

when you reach 16,000 I recommend you change your Air Filter and rotate your tires BY YOURSELF you don't need a dealer. the more you work on your car the more you know more about it. Air Filter is easy to replace and rotation you need to jack and tires to support the bottom of the car in case you accidentally hit the jack and the car falls.

Never removed the Postive cable from the battery You will end up putting a code or codes on your car like the car stereo and other stuff.

if you take them off be ready to know all the codes for stereo, Nav and Bluetooth.

Lancer is easy fix as long you take care of it

Used the EXTREME MAINTENANCE NOT THE REGULAR MAINTENANCE MEANING YOU HAVE TO CHANGE OIL EVERY 3,000 MILES NOT 6,000 MILES it is better for the noisy engine of the Lancer. take note when the oil is very hot the MIVEC engine is more smoother than cold start and the engine is quieter.

I changed oil for only $27.00 use regular oil only use synthetic when it is 60,000 miles already

Old 06-20-2008, 03:48 PM

Yeah, I have a Jeep Grand Cherokee that I do all the maintainence on myself. I was just affraid of voiding the warantee by not getting the oil and stuff done at a dealership, not being able to prove when it was done, and having to collect recepts and stuff. They tried getting me to rotate the tires today for an extra 20 dollars and I laughed and told them no. I thought the dealer told me that the oil is good for every 7500 miles as hence the dash gauge. I did my first oil change at over 6K miles, is that going to be ok?[/align][/align]So you're saying that the oil should be done at 3,000 miles? Do you guys reccoment regular walmart brand conventional oil or should I go with something like quakerstate synthetic? I use Synthetic in my Jeep every 7,000 miles for the past 60K and have had zero problems.[/align]I didn't realize that that gauge was for maintainence, I thought it was oil. Is it just concindence that when I reset it, it moved to 8300 miles (which is 7500 plus the remainding 700 that was on the meter previously)?[/align][/align]I did notice the noisy engine, I orinigally thought something was wrong with it, but i'm reading now it's normal? Will it quiet down once it gets broken in more or is that just how it is? (this is my first brand new car)[/align][/align]Thanks again, you guys are being really helpful![/align]Mike[/align]

Old 06-21-2008, 01:56 PM

it is adjustable.

turn the key off. press the "info" button until the service interval comes up.
hold the button down 4 times, each time listing for a "beep".
after the 4th, quickly jab the button 3 times. You will now be in the adjustable section. By default, its set to NAS (north america standard) 1.0, which is 7/7500.
N.A.S 1.1 is 3750 or 3 months.
N.A.S 2.0 is 5000 or 5.
N.A.S 2.1 is 3750 or 4 .

you may need to "clear" it more than once to get a decent interval set up.
or better yet, set it to "off".

Old 06-23-2008, 10:11 AM

I Used Castrol GTX.

I recommend any NAME Brand Oil you see advertise on tv.

IF you drive everyday on Extreme condition I recommend you change oil every 3,000 miles.
But everyone drives different so I recommend to start checking the dip stick and if the oil is black you can change it. Do not listen to people that says that it is useless to check the dip stick for oil color. don't listen to them SAVE MONEY SO CHECK ON THE DIP STICK.
IF it's clear like a cooking oil it still good and if it's black change it right away. to avoid sludge and on 32,000 miles have an engine flush replace air filter and spark plugs

it is tune at 32,000 miles. I already did mine at 27,000 the sparks were still good not burn but I save money on gas by replacing them.

I don't recommend WALMART oil you never know what the Chinese put on those oil.
remember all Walmart products are made in China.

MIVEC engine has this knocking sound. that is normal for Mitsubishi engines.

Old 06-23-2008, 10:15 AM

It will retain that sound for the rest of the car's life. SO JUST LIVE WITH IT YOU WANTED A MITSUBISHI.

Problem if you put Short Ram Intake and performance muffler IT WILL MAKE LOUDER SOUND. Which is going to be Annoying to you and passenger.