Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Sportback Newer to the United States, the Lancer line offers a sporty compact sedan, with all of the fine styling of the performance minded Evolution.

OIL and OIL filter Question

Old 01-28-2009, 11:27 PM
Default OIL and OIL filter Question

What is more important? Oil or Oil Filter.

I want to put in Mobil 1 synthetic oil, but I want to use Walmart's Super Tech oil filter. Super Tech oil filter cost 3$ while Mobil 1 oil filter cost $12.

Another situation is using Super Tech synthetic oil and Mobil 1 oil filter if oil filter is more important than oil. Super Tech syth. oil is $17.50 while Mobil 1 syn. is $28 for 5 quart jug.

IF I use both Mobil 1 means that each oil change going to cost like $45 after taxes. Almost the same as dealership price.

IF I use both Super Tech oil and oil filter, then it only cost $20 for each oil change which is done at around 4-5k miles.

Old 01-29-2009, 10:54 AM
Default RE: OIL and OIL filter Question

i think either or would be fine.

the combining of thetwo different brands should not be a problem either.

i prefer to use the mobil products myself.

.........Any one know who makes the syn. oil for wal-mart ? ?

Old 01-29-2009, 05:18 PM

dont waste your money. but a fram for $10

and to say which is more important is not a very good question to ask. they are both highly volatile in the health of your vehicle. its like saying what more important, blood? or your kidneys and liver? both need to be good. and id rather use the best then get away with the cheapest. remember in vehicle parts, you get what you pay for. a cheaper filter probably uses a cheaper gasket seal, with cheap adhesive on it. what good is oil if its not being cleaned properly or if its falling out of the car? maby this is an extreme opinion but i dont like to risk things like that. $45 to avoid possible catastrophic problems to be is well worth the money.

Old 01-29-2009, 05:51 PM

wal-mart oil filters are produced by champion labs.

champion labs also produces filters for...............

......wait for it............................

mobil 1 and K&N

Old 01-29-2009, 06:20 PM

you're wasting money on synthetic oil in a base lancer.

And you should stick with mitsu factory filters.

Old 01-29-2009, 06:53 PM

If you want to avoid catastrophic failures, I would avoid fram. They're notorious for their bypass valve not working and if the filter were to clog and the bypass valve doesn't open your engine is starved of oil.

Fram sucks. Buy WIX filters.

Or if you want to save money just buy Amsoil synthetic oil and Amsoil filter. I think an oil change costs around $70 shipped but it's guaranteed for 1 year or 25,000 miles. I even emailed them asking them if that guarantee only covers the viscosity of the oil and they said no. They said as long as you use their filter with their oil they will guarantee that it will be good for 25,000 miles. They were the first ones to use synthetic oil.

Old 01-30-2009, 05:00 AM

ORIGINAL: kimokalihi

If you want to avoid catastrophic failures, I would avoid fram. They're notorious for their bypass valve not working and if the filter were to clog and the bypass valve doesn't open your engine is starved of oil.

Fram sucks. Buy WIX filters.

Or if you want to save money just buy Amsoil synthetic oil and Amsoil filter. I think an oil change costs around $70 shipped but it's guaranteed for 1 year or 25,000 miles. I even emailed them asking them if that guarantee only covers the viscosity of the oil and they said no. They said as long as you use their filter with their oil they will guarantee that it will be good for 25,000 miles. They were the first ones to use synthetic oil.

lol okay buddy

Old 01-30-2009, 12:52 PM

My GOD if you change your oil and filter at a Mitsubishi dealer it will only cost you $27.00 to $30.00 oil change. That's how much I pay in Boston

Why do you need $70.00 for an oil change that's insane?

Old 01-30-2009, 05:44 PM

synthetic oil is a TOTAL waste of money in a car that doesnt produce high oil temps... Like your base lancer.
you can never get them high enough to warrant the cost of it.
You CANNOT go 25000 miles on it.
it is NOT some "magic oil", capable of things normal motor oil isnt.
Most of the hype about synthetic is in fact that... hype. Marketing.

the truth about synthetic oil is that for 90 percent of the cars its used in it is a TOTAL waste of money. It does NOT protect better under any circumstance other than extreme high or low temps. So unless you live somewhere that its 20 below in the winter, you will be wasting your money.

does it have value? Yes. in the right conditions. The evo requires it because oil temps can exceed 350-400 degress sometimes. Your lancer wont.

heres a small snippet
"In July 1996, consumer reports published the results of a two year motor oil test involving a fleet of 75 New York taxi cabs and found no noticeable advantage of synthetic oil over regular oil. In their article, they noted that "Big-city cabs don't see many cold start-ups or long periods of high speed driving in extreme heat. But our test results relate to the most common type of severe service — stop-and-go city driving." According to their study, synthetic oil is "worth considering for extreme driving conditions: high ambient temperatures and high engine load, or very cold temperatures."

Old 02-03-2009, 02:08 PM

The regular oil performs better on the LANCER.

The Mivec 4B11 ENGINEget quieter WHEN THEOIL IS ALREADY very hot and you will notice the more the Lancer ran the more engine is quiet.

when you just start your 08 or 09 Lancer the engine is a little loud but after driving it for awhile the engine is not so loud

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: OIL and OIL filter Question

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.