Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Sportback Newer to the United States, the Lancer line offers a sporty compact sedan, with all of the fine styling of the performance minded Evolution.

shifting into reverse

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2008, 03:22 AM
Default shifting into reverse

hey guys just bought my 08 lancer and im loving it. one problem ive been having tho is shifting into reverse. its a stick and sometimes the shifter will not fully engage into reverse. it will partially engage, the backup light will turn on, but it feels like it is getting caught on something just before it goes in. the only way i can get it to workis to either slide it into another gear first, then reverse. or depress the clutch and put it into reverse. its been happeningever since i got thecar. not a big deal and doesnt happen often. it just sucks when im trying to do a three pt turn and i got cars coming at me at both directions and the damn thing wont go into reverse.. its happened before. any advice? thanks guys

Old 05-30-2008, 09:45 AM
Default RE: shifting into reverse

LOL you are funny

Always put it on 1st gear or other gear before you put it on REVERSE.

Or pump your clutch first before you put it on reverse, your Clutch pedal should always be on the floor almost touching it. always play with your stick before putting on reverse.

It isall like that on any kind of car thatismanual transmission. Sometimes I do that

the reverselight is onbut the gear is not totally engaged or not totally put on Reverse. MY Thousand miles of driving a

If you reallyhave a problem on your reverse gearthe car will not even reverse no matter what you do. so yours has no problem

Your car has a brand new Tranny just keep it cool. You may start making mistakes after you reach 27,000 miles but for now I recommend you to baby your clutch do it slowly not rough.

Those cracking sound when mistakenly not stepping on the clutch is acceptable once in awhile the Mitsu tranny can tolerate that but just don't do it all the time.

believe me I have the same problem before but it was really me not the car. that's why I am laughing

You will notice alsothat Lancer 08 does not start on sometimes the technic Again is to STEP ON THE CLUTCH ALL THE WAY TO THE FLOOR AN INCH SHORT WILL NOT START YOUR CAR AND THE SAME WITH THE REVERSE.

always step the clutch all the way to the floor.

good luck

Old 05-31-2008, 01:37 AM

is that typical on mitsu trannys? ive drivenplenty of sticks and ive never had this problem.oh well, like i said its not big deal. im just glad its not just me. thanks for the tip beat

Old 05-31-2008, 12:32 PM
Banned

Every single manual transmission does this. I 100% guarentee you. If you havn't had it happen, then you havn't been driving it for long enough.

The Lotus does it all the time.

Old 06-02-2008, 07:46 AM

I think all are like that especially if it's a new car.

The 2008 Lancer Evolution Xdoesn't have a reverse gear
(according to this forum http://evoxtuners.com) but just be nice to yourmanual tranny.

Remember 2 things are important on maintaining a car theengine and transmission.