Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Sportback Newer to the United States, the Lancer line offers a sporty compact sedan, with all of the fine styling of the performance minded Evolution.

Weak fan in 2004 Lancer/Sportback?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2006, 04:25 AM
Default Weak fan in 2004 Lancer/Sportback?

Even though the fan has always been a bit...quirky...in my '04 Lancer Sportback, it's become really obvious in the summer months. Those who have Mitsus will know that there are four different fan speed settings on the dash. When I turn on the fan (the **** all the way to the blue, before max/ac) to the first position, the air movement is barely perceptible, the second is only slightly better and the third only a bit better than the second....so settings one, two and three are virtually useless. But when I put it on the highest fan setting, the fan is probably ten times stronger and louder than in any of the other settings. Is this the way it was designed? It just seems fairly odd and if something isn't right, I'd be interested in finding a fix for it, whether it's the computer or the fan motor or something else. Does anyone else have this problem or am I the only one? Thanks!

Old 07-25-2006, 07:02 PM
Default RE: Weak fan in 2004 Lancer/Sportback?

In my 04 Outlander the A/C is terrible right now, but it's visiting Mitsu this Thursday to get it checked out. The bottom line is in 2004 the controls for the HVAC SUCKED!!! My fan isn't that pronounced either, but take it in and have Mitsu check it out anyway if it's under warranty still.

Old 07-25-2006, 08:09 PM

Thanks for the idea, maybe I'll do that. Is it necessary to take it in to a Mitsu certified garage in order to have warranty work done (or not void the warranty)? Also, please let me know if any info comes from your visit on Thursday, and good luck!

EDIT: I called a local Mitsubishi garage and asked if they could look at my fan on warranty. He said that we can make an appointment and "figure that out when I get there." Does this sound suspicious? I don't want to be caught with a diagnostic charge for potential warranty work if nothing comes up. Though I guess I can always just leave if things aren't looking right. ...Right?

Old 07-25-2006, 11:25 PM

Those are all questions I would ask before arriving or letting them touch the car. I would only go to a Mitsu dealer if you can manage to. You have a lot more people to complain to if you feel they are jerking you around too!

Old 07-25-2006, 11:55 PM

I made an appointment because it was on the way for my errands on Thursday. If he tries to charge me for something I don't want to go through with, I'll just go. I don't feel like getting charged for them telling me something I already know.

Old 07-26-2006, 06:27 PM

you know Ive also been having that problem with 2003 Mitsu Lancer ES. The fan motor really sucks in that thing. Now I have to blast the AC in order to bring the heat down in my car, then the noise from the fan is super loud. Let me knoe what the dealer says so I can have my car repaired as well.

Old 07-27-2006, 01:05 PM

will do

Old 07-27-2006, 06:41 PM

Well, I took it in and they said there was nothing wrong with it. Huh.

Old 07-27-2006, 07:09 PM

lol, mines in the shop as I type and so far they just say they need to evac the system and recharge with a dye injected to see if there are any leaks in the system. As much as I wanted to keep my money, I told them to go for it...so we'll see what happens.

Old 07-27-2006, 07:26 PM

Kind of a dumb question, but I figure I oughta ask. When I turned the vehicle on to demonstrate the "problem," I left it running...and it was so quiet, when I was ready to take it out, I turned the key again while it was running. Should I be concerned or is there some way to remedy what I may have done (i.e. damage to the spark plugs and things of that nature)?

Quick Reply: Weak fan in 2004 Lancer/Sportback?