Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Sportback Newer to the United States, the Lancer line offers a sporty compact sedan, with all of the fine styling of the performance minded Evolution.

WINTER TIRES !!

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2008, 04:35 PM
Default WINTER TIRES !!

Anyone out there know what other size I could use for winter tires that would be a little thinner than the 215/45R18's that come on the 09 LANCER GTS.

Old 09-04-2008, 12:38 PM
Default RE: WINTER TIRES !!

i would suggest picking up some cheap 16" steelies and mounting a set of "real" winter tires on them.

that my even be less money than trying to find a good winter tire in an 18" size.

also your gts wheels will still look good when you put them on after winter !

Old 09-04-2008, 02:19 PM

Actually that is not a good idea

Because You still have to buy the Tire Pressure Indicator THAT WOULD BE $100.00 a piece or more for each rims and you have calibrate each Sensor for your car. He will be spending almost $1,500 just to get better tires to replace a brand new tires.

If you have money Just buy a rims at Pep Boys the rims might be still on sale

a set will cost about $200.00 a set (4 rims) buy the Gun Metal IF YOU HAVE BLACK LANCER LIKE MINE.

Old 09-04-2008, 02:23 PM

the only tires that really good for winter are Goodyear and Michelen

Kumho tires are also good brand. They used Kumho for Drifting so it is a durable tires for winter.

Pep Boys sell those Kumho winter tires for buy 3 get one free and they start around $35.00 to $150.00 a tire.

I have kumho tires on my old Mirage they were pretty good. Goodyear and Michelen are better but more expensive.

Old 09-05-2008, 12:25 PM

Thanks for the info. Are you talking about taking the Dunlops off for the winter,using the same Gts rims for the
snows.What kind of rims would you get at say Pep Boys, or are you saying get a set of rims for the snows & keep
the Dunlops mounted to the stock Gts wheels.
Let me know Beat.. My lancer is 09 Red

Old 09-05-2008, 12:28 PM

Beat,
Do you think that the Dunlop SP 5000 SY'S would be alright for the winter....

Old 09-06-2008, 09:46 AM

for the winter.......take off your nice gts wheels and tires.

get "cheap" 16 inch steel wheels mount dedicated winter tires on them.

16s' are going to be much cheaper than 18/45 winter tires.

you will not mess up your good gts rims during the winter...

......... and you will be much safer driving on the 16" winter tires.

Old 09-08-2008, 07:20 AM

How about what Beat was saying about the tire pressure monitoring system for each tire as well as calibrating each one. I don't want to screw up the car in anyway,so can you actually
go out & just put on 16 inch steelies w/ a good set of winter without messing up the car.

Anybody else out there , please don't be afraid to comment.

Old 09-08-2008, 09:42 AM

Big daddy you still need the tire monitoring tire gauge valve if you don't want to hear the annoyong alarm for the tires on your dash. you can get rid of it by pressing the button but everytime you drive your car it will alarm once in awhile.

You can take out the sensor for each OEM rims and replace them on the rims you will use. Just take it easy with it but I think you still have to fit the Sensor on the rims if they fit if not that's another problem. make sure the machine that install the tires willNOThit the sensor when they install the tires.

it is your call now my friend.

Old 09-08-2008, 09:45 AM

Sir,

I am not sure about the Brand Dunlop. I usually get the Kumho or Michellen tires.

Sebba might know the Dunlop tires but he is not answering.

Sebba are you here?!!

Yes leave the stock tires on the orginal GTS rims.

Just buy a 4 rims that can install the tire monitoring gauge and Your new winter tires. Try to find a NEW rims that can fit those sensor some rims don't accomodate sensors.

I was in Pep boys this Sunday and they sell rims for $125.00 eachand up.

to tell you frankly it will really save you money in the long run because you changed rims and tiresjust the hassle of changing them.

Always ask if the rims accomodate Sensors. I took directly to the manager and they can help you.

That's what I did with my ES Lancer.

that's the cheapest place you can buy the rims for the GTS. Others are on line,

Quick Reply: WINTER TIRES !!