Mitsubishi Mirage This sport compact offers economy without compromising comfort.

1.5 Mirage exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2013, 06:41 PM
Default 1.5 Mirage exhaust

OK, I'm finally fed up with the major crack in my exhaust manifold. I have searched high and low only to confirm what others have posted. There are NO, NADA, ZIP, ZERO headers for the 1.5 liter Mirage in the US. My car consistently gets 39-41 mpg with 209K miles on the clock so I can't bear to get rid of it. I have found new cast iron manifolds in FL and TX. I wouldn't trust a used manifold since this seems to be a weak link on this engine.

I found a photo of a manifold on EBay but the application is for earlier ('98-'00) California models and all '00-'01 models. The photo makes it look like it is a steel header. Seems like it would last longer than a cast iron unit. Here's my question...

Does anyone know if I could get away with using this manifold on my '98 Federal engine?

Attached Thumbnails 1.5 Mirage exhaust-1.5ex-manifold.jpg  
Old 07-07-2013, 11:34 PM

Originally Posted by 69roadrunner
OK, I'm finally fed up with the major crack in my exhaust manifold. I have searched high and low only to confirm what others have posted. There are NO, NADA, ZIP, ZERO headers for the 1.5 liter Mirage in the US. My car consistently gets 39-41 mpg with 209K miles on the clock so I can't bear to get rid of it. I have found new cast iron manifolds in FL and TX. I wouldn't trust a used manifold since this seems to be a weak link on this engine.

I found a photo of a manifold on EBay but the application is for earlier ('98-'00) California models and all '00-'01 models. The photo makes it look like it is a steel header. Seems like it would last longer than a cast iron unit. Here's my question...

Does anyone know if I could get away with using this manifold on my '98 Federal engine?
If there is a bung for an O2 sensor, you should be okay. It would be nice if you could use the original heat shields, as the header will radiate heat into your radiator. If not the originals, maybe you could have an exhaust shop make a new set for you. If you can't install the O2 sensor, then don't buy the header.

Regards,
Rich

Old 07-08-2013, 08:38 PM

I called the seller who seemed to be knowledgeable about the subject. He said the maniflod would bolt to the head fine. The problem is on the other end. The pipe is a different size. Also, as you mentioned, the heat shield is different. It would require buying the CA unit or fabricating. O2 sensor is in a different location but the provision is there. He also said that the newer cast iron units are "beefed up" and less susceptible to cracking. Looks like I will just buy the factory replacement. It comes two ways. Bare, or for $60 more you get the studs, brass nuts and gaskets. Thanks for your post.