Mitsubishi Mirage This sport compact offers economy without compromising comfort.

'95 radio replacement, help dash lights don't work

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2006, 06:34 PM
Default '95 radio replacement, help dash lights don't work

The radio quit working in my '95. I want to replace it with a cheapie for now. I bought a used radio off of ebay from a mitsubishi but it did not have all the connections the old radio has.

There seems to be a connection to the interior lights through the radio. There is a fuse and connector that don't match any normal radio stuff.

When disconnected the interior lights do not come on with the headlights.

I have rigged a fix but now the interior lights are on whenever the car is started. Not a big deal but it bugs me.

I put in a cheap radio for now.

Anyone know about this? Am I crazy or just missing some info?

Thanks

Old 09-18-2006, 09:02 PM
Default RE: '95 radio replacement, help interior lights don't work

I guess i should have said dash lights, not interior lights.

The dome light works fine.

Anyone know anything about this radio that has a fuse and an extra connector on the back?

Old 09-20-2006, 03:48 AM

don't know man, shoulda jus gon to circuit city, they would have put the radio in the right way and not screwed anythin up in the car.

Old 09-20-2006, 02:47 PM

They would not replace it, they did not have a harness that would fit it. That was a couple of years ago.

Old 09-20-2006, 02:51 PM

If you don't have anything positive to add to my question can you just stay out of it man? Answering questions with stupid comments doesn't help anyone.

This radio is different from any other radio I have ever seen. I have installed many radios with out a problem. But this is different than the average radio.

It has another connector for dash lights going to it. It is not a normal radio.

Old 09-20-2006, 03:41 PM

jeez, calm down, don't get so emotional and flip out like that, I'm jus ****in witcha. Damn. Good luck solvin the problem, take it to a dealer, maybe they can help.

Old 09-22-2006, 10:56 AM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: Electech1

This radio is different from any other radio I have ever seen. I have installed many radios with out a problem. But this is different than the average radio.

It has another connector for dash lights going to it. It is not a normal radio.
its a mutant

thats weird that the radio would have anything to do with the interior lights

Old 09-22-2006, 04:05 PM
Default RE: '95 radio replacement, help dash lights don't work

only reason a factory radio would connected with the dash lights is for the dimmer switch ..........what did this radio come out of exactly ?

Old 10-20-2006, 04:20 AM
Default RE: '95 radio replacement, help dash lights don't work

Im having the same issues with my '93 mirage... I had a new deck for a good couple months, and then it stopped working. when I removed it, the dash lights wouldnt work.

I found that the green wire with white stripe and the black wire with yellow stripe ARE in fact connected to the dimmer, and when I connect it to some sort of power from the stereo, (presumably the swtiched positive, which Im assuming is blue) the dash lights come on, but when a go to actually switch the lights on, the dash lights go away. I also noticed that my drive lights (park, drive, neutral, etc) dont work except for reverse, but that may be a seperate problem entirely, and if so, Im not even going to address it.

Im thinking if we bounce ideas back and forth between each other, and Im hoping we have the same wiring color codes, we can help each other find a solution. I know I probably should have gone to a pro, but whats done is done, I cant go back, and whats more, I dont wanna pay someone for something I can figure out and do myself, you know?