Mitsubishi Mirage This sport compact offers economy without compromising comfort.

97-01 Evo engine/awd swap?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2007, 04:19 AM
Default 97-01 Evo engine/awd swap?

hey everyone. i have been looking at getting a 97-01 Mirage Sedan for a while. kinda as a secondary project. im leaving my current car as it is, and wanting to start something new. i have been trying to find as much info as i can about the Evo/awd swap. but for some reason mirageforums.net is broken, and i cant register to read the posts

i've read through this forum, and i can see this question has been asked numerous times, but not alot of info shared (at least i couldnt find any).

i have all the resources to do the conversion, and finding the parts is no problem (i currently own a RHD jdm car, and finding parts in japan is easy for me). i have found a full EVO VI front cut, including rear x-member, rear diff. as well as axles, wheelhubs, brakes, and suspension for all 4 wheels. (the same place also has a few EVO V's, but the VI is the same price)

im looking for someone who has done this conversion themselves. i have a few questions, that so far i have fuzzy answers to.

1. Engine mounts: do either of the factory mirage engines use the same engine mounts as the 4G63? im assuming not, so fabbing them myself might be the only option.

2. Firewall area: does the Mirage firewall accomedate the transfercase, and driveshaft well? will there be any modification needed to clear these?

3.Axles to wheels: how possible is it to swap in the front and rearwheelhubs and brakes from the EVO? if i do, will it also require the EVO suspension?

4. Rear-end: how much work is needed to mount the rearcross-member, and the rear diff? i am not sure how the stock rear subframe looks on the Mirage, but will the EVO rear cross member simply replace what is there?i am going to assume not, and prepare to have to do some welding. can anyone vouch for what kind of work is needed for that?

tommorow i am going to go get myself the most detailedshop manual i can for the Mirage. i have the EVO VI english manual coming in the mail any day now.i am going to study the differences, and find out whats what. just thought i would try to get a headsup from anyone else who has done the conversion.

please dont just respond with "it can be done, but its expensive". im looking for somefirst-hand (orat least second-hand) experience here. thanksfor anyanswers anyone has.

id love to be able to read up on mirageforums.net, imthats where im going to find the best answers. ill read up there as soon as they fix the site.

Old 01-18-2007, 08:28 PM
Default RE: 97-01 Evo engine/awd swap?

ORIGINAL: impreziv

hey everyone. i have been looking at getting a 97-01 Mirage Sedan for a while. kinda as a secondary project. im leaving my current car as it is, and wanting to start something new. i have been trying to find as much info as i can about the Evo/awd swap. but for some reason mirageforums.net is broken, and i cant register to read the posts

i've read through this forum, and i can see this question has been asked numerous times, but not alot of info shared (at least i couldnt find any).

i have all the resources to do the conversion, and finding the parts is no problem (i currently own a RHD jdm car, and finding parts in japan is easy for me). i have found a full EVO VI front cut, including rear x-member, rear diff. as well as axles, wheelhubs, brakes, and suspension for all 4 wheels. (the same place also has a few EVO V's, but the VI is the same price)

im looking for someone who has done this conversion themselves. i have a few questions, that so far i have fuzzy answers to.

1. Engine mounts: do either of the factory mirage engines use the same engine mounts as the 4G63? im assuming not, so fabbing them myself might be the only option.

2. Firewall area: does the Mirage firewall accomedate the transfercase, and driveshaft well? will there be any modification needed to clear these?

3.Axles to wheels: how possible is it to swap in the front and rearwheelhubs and brakes from the EVO? if i do, will it also require the EVO suspension?

4. Rear-end: how much work is needed to mount the rearcross-member, and the rear diff? i am not sure how the stock rear subframe looks on the Mirage, but will the EVO rear cross member simply replace what is there?i am going to assume not, and prepare to have to do some welding. can anyone vouch for what kind of work is needed for that?

tommorow i am going to go get myself the most detailedshop manual i can for the Mirage. i have the EVO VI english manual coming in the mail any day now.i am going to study the differences, and find out whats what. just thought i would try to get a headsup from anyone else who has done the conversion.

please dont just respond with "it can be done, but its expensive". im looking for somefirst-hand (orat least second-hand) experience here. thanksfor anyanswers anyone has.

id love to be able to read up on mirageforums.net, imthats where im going to find the best answers. ill read up there as soon as they fix the site.
You're gonna have a hard time finding people that have done a 5th gen swap to the E.V or VI, as far as I know there are only 2 or 3 that have sucessfully completed the swap. From what I've been told (becuase I originally wanted to do this very swap, but it was going to cost way too much), you'll have your work cut out for you. The 5th generation USDM Mirage and JDM Lancer use slightly different chasis, so nothing will be a direct bolt in. You'll need to make your own engine mounts, as well as relocate the battery. Since the USDM Mirage does not operate off the JDM chasis used under the JDM Lancers and GTR's, to the best of my knowledge there will be some custom work when it comes to clearance room for the differential, drive shaft and transfer case. The fire wall may need minor modifications, it's the center hump that I'm thinking may cause problems. A big brake conversion from the 3kgt VR4 is a fairly common mod, so I would assume that the Evo brakes will go in without a problem (just have to watch for rim clearance) and swapping the wheel humbs should be fairly straight foward. I'm thinking that the suspension on the Evo VI is relatively similar to the USDM Mirage, so that might bolt directly in. If not, I'd go with a set of adjustable race coil overs (D2 makes a really nice set for $1400-1500 I think). As far as the rear end goes, I can't give you any info, but I think it would be safe to assume there will be some sort of custom work involved in the instalation of the cross members.
mirageforums.net should be up, I was just there like 10 minutes ago. Good luck, if you got the know how and the bank for it, it's a swap that will murder every factory Evo VIII and IX out there.

Old 01-19-2007, 12:52 AM

thanks for the info. i think i will be able to manage most of it. its just the rear-end that worries me.

i finally was able to register for mirageforums. some kind of problem with the site before.

cheers

Old 01-30-2007, 03:24 PM

it can be done, but its expensive.

Old 03-26-2009, 08:22 AM
Default luckymarine0311 real 2dr evo

im not sure if you are still doing this project but i have done it or at least have done more than enough to help you with your answers. i converted a 2000 mirage into a awd, i used a 06 evo vlll as the donor car, i had a few problems along the way but not too bad, surprisingly the rear end was a peice of cake for me there were two problems i encountered, 1 the lower drag link arms for the evo 8 are set back under the car further tnhan that of the mirage, ant the top wish bone or a arm mount needs to be moved foreward 1 5/8 inches. the tunnel did not have to be modified but you will need to cut out the floor pan for the spare tire so the diff will fit in and you will need to cut out the rear seat floor pan so the gas tank of an evo will fit in, this also means you need to move the gas cap to the other side of the car on the evo its on the other side. thats if you want to have a gas tank under the car you could use a fuel cell if you wanted, i opted for the gas tank under the car.
now the evo suspension will all work fine but the evo car is heavier witch leaves the mirage sitting up in the moon. you can lower it, also the evo wheel base is wider than that of the mirage so wheel arches are needed.
as for the front end i used the evo 8 front sub frame, this is not a bolt on at all, all the mounts hat to be re fabricated, this is not for the light hearted at all. the evo 8 subframe is 3 inches lower in height than that of the mirage, on the mirage the subframe bolted up in the rear using two bolts the evo subframe only used one, and the bolt holes on the mirage chassi are at two different heights, it was hard to keep the front end square, but this mod did not stop there, the hole for the steering coloum needs to be widened also. dont get too discourage this mod took me about 4 hours to do, but im exierienced, depending on your capabilites it may take you longer.
well im kinda like the nutty professor i did not stop there, i took out the dash bord of the evo 8 and that of the mirage and after a lot of cutting shaping and welding brackets i now have the dash of an evo 8 in my mirage, i also put in the recardos the center console the gagues and the shifter, carpets. sounds crazy right???
so i cut the front clip of the evo 8 and welded it to the mirage, now i have hood frender bumper headlights the hole front end of the 8 on there. NOT done yet!!!! right now im in the middle of cutting th quater pannells of the 8 and welding them to the mirage, tail lights and trunk the lot.... if any one wants to see this car you can e mail me at lucklymarine0311@yahoo.com

Last edited by luckymarine0311; 03-26-2009 at 08:26 AM. Reason: left out info
Old 03-26-2009, 08:28 AM

p.s the evo 8 ecu will not work with out a transponer key

Old 03-26-2009, 04:09 PM

you would be so much ahead if you just bought an evo....

Old 03-28-2009, 09:15 PM

I had an evo vlll but my x totaled it.

Old 04-01-2009, 11:05 AM

well i just wanted to post some pics on the project im workin on it might be helpful

Old 04-01-2009, 11:07 AM

Name:  IMG_0289.jpg
Views: 2919
Size:  82.3 KB
Name:  IMG_0290.jpg
Views: 2702
Size:  84.8 KB
Name:  IMG_0291.jpg
Views: 2749
Size:  99.5 KB
Name:  IMG_0292.jpg
Views: 2752