Mitsubishi Mirage This sport compact offers economy without compromising comfort.

97 Mirage boggs down when accelerating

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2008, 10:23 PM
Default 97 Mirage boggs down when accelerating

Ok, I am stumped.. I have a 1997 mirage 1.5 liter and It started to act funny and then got worse. When driving the car, when you try to accelerate. it boggs down like it's going to flood out. then I tried by just accelerating the motor using the TBody at the motor and it speeds up if you gradually increase speed. if you pull it over quick. it boggs down, sputters, pops, smells like it is flooding out. I am stumped.. This is what i have done so far.

changed fuel pump - nothing changed
removed the injectors and tapped them to see if anything, as in trash, comes out. nothing
checked the vacuum hoses- all good
replaced the fuel filter- no change ( and that was a chore)
cap
rotor
wires
plugs
think that is it so far. hope someone can help.....

Old 06-26-2008, 05:36 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: 97 Mirage boggs down when accelerating

Check your timing.

Old 06-26-2008, 11:19 PM

Not yet, from the performance I not think of that first. It runs great at idle and when you bring up the RPMs slowly, it runs as smooth as it did at idle... I have to get a manual for it because i cant find nothing on the net for testing any of the components on a individual basis.. someone told me it could possible be the distributer pack since the 1.5 liter does not have a seperate coil off to the side. Then I had someone else say that the MAP/MAF sensor can be bad or causing the problem but it shows no codes. I did pull the vacuum hose off the Mass air sensor and, well it killed the engine. Still stumped..lol

Old 06-27-2008, 12:25 PM
JJ

my '95 mirage w/ 1.5L does the same thing. I can only give it at most 1/4 throttle and then it bogs down. If you give it a little gas it revs up smoothly and nicely but stomp it and it sounds like a semi jake-braking. One other weird thing is it acts totally fine on really cold mornings full power. But only for a block or so, then it's back to no power. I was told by someone I have a paritally clogged cat. converter. The stockpart (where I'm at locally) is like $350 so I'm hoping it's the coil/pack ($120 here) and not thet converter.
Any suggestions for two mystefied mirage owners?

Old 06-27-2008, 05:27 PM
Super Moderator

Well you can drop the exhaust before the cat and drive it. If it runs greatthen your cat is clogged.

Old 06-28-2008, 05:11 PM

Well that sounds like a good idea and i will also try it... I got a manual and am currently testing individual components... My dist. coil pack checks out ok and moving on to throttle pos. sensor and then Air flow. Hopefully someone will achieve success out of this and the findings save someone else the hairpulling test... (this blows my thoughts...Get an older model and it will be easier to fix... NOT SO TRUE..ha..)

Old 06-28-2008, 07:37 PM

Ok.... Dont think i am gonna be trying to remove the clamp. i know i will be breaking bolts. Soo.. i moved on to the trottle pos. sensor and the MAP sensor. both passed the test on voltages... darn.

Old 06-30-2008, 06:29 PM
Super Moderator

You could buy an exhaust back pressure tool, they screw into where o2 sensor goes.

Old 07-01-2008, 09:08 PM

Did not know that... will give a try, thanks

Old 07-04-2008, 12:22 AM

sounds like a bad cat,try removing the cat and run the car..definitely sounds lik a bad cat.

Quick Reply: 97 Mirage boggs down when accelerating