Mitsubishi Mirage This sport compact offers economy without compromising comfort.

98 DE Coupe

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2007, 01:49 PM
drO
Default 98 DE Coupe

im about to start moddin my RAGE and here is what im going to do with it

DM 1.5 block bored to a 1.8 with eclipse 1.8 pistons,eclipse injectors,NGK plugs,shaved head,HKS 10.2mm wires,HKS filter,F1 clutch,3a carbon fiber muffler,and a test pipe.

and i was wondering about how much all this stuff would cost and the time it would take

Old 06-09-2007, 07:49 AM
Default RE: 98 DE Coupe

Hate to burst your bubble, those pistons won't work, and the eclipse injectors won't work without different clips. And it will still be slow, no matter what you do. There's plenty of build threads in this section, read them, it might help give you some ideas.

Old 06-14-2007, 03:26 PM

you should just drop a 4g64 from a 3g eclipse in it and then put an evo 4-9 head on it like me!!!!!

Old 06-14-2007, 03:42 PM

Uhm... it would seem to me, with a car as light as that, he would be better off just dropping a 4g63t into there (since theyd be equally hard to install) and get a higher rev limit, loser.

Old 06-14-2007, 04:10 PM

ya but the 4g64 was in the car when i got so thats why im keeping it, also with low compression pistons its better for forced induction, the only advantage to having the 2.0L is you can hit higher revs

Old 06-14-2007, 08:02 PM

The 4g64 is a relativley easy swap, from what I've read. The motor and tranny mounts bolt up with minimal modification, you need to be careful what you get for your ECU since the 2000+ eclipse have a lot of extra ignition problems to sort out when doing a swap (so go with an ECU & harness out of a 98 Eclipse Spyder), and you can use a 1.8 tranny if necessary, just remove the 1.8 bellhousing and frankeinstien the 2.0 with it and your golden. Plus the fact that the 4g64 is cheaper. But as Dusty said, the 4g63t out of an evo VIII or IX would be the hands down winner.

Old 06-15-2007, 01:35 AM

but with the 4g64 and evo head you've got your self a stroked evo motor! and its prolly cheaper.

Old 06-15-2007, 01:49 AM

there's a little more that goes into building up a motor than just slapping on a new head and calling it a day there newb.

Old 06-15-2007, 02:07 AM

and you still don't have an evo motor, for a variety of reasons.

1.) ECU - the 4g64 ecu does not have the air/fuel curves that the 4g63t evo ecu would, and will throw a CEL the instant the MAF sees boost. so you'll need some way to get around that, along with some sort of tuning software or a standalone ecu.
2.) Fuel Delevery System - I'm pretty sure the evo's got a beefier fuel injection system than the g64. So in order to be on par with the evo's fuel delivery, you'll need bigger injectors and an adjustable fuel pressure regulator.
3.) Air Delivery - The intake manifold on the evo is pretty certain to be less restricitve than the g64's, so you'll need a port job
4.) Turbo - OH SNAP! Wouldn't you know it, the 4g64 doesn't come with one! So you'll need a turbo, a manifold, and a waste gate for starters.
5.) Intercooler - Wouldn't ya know, since the 4g64 doesn't come with a turbo, most won't come with an intercooler either.
6.) Plumbing - What good's the turbo and intercooler if they're not connected to anything?
7.) Transmission - 4g63 front clip will come with an AWD transmission. Now true it's a lot of extra work in a rage to make it AWD. a 4g64 clip will come with a FWD trans, so here's where you enter a grey area; spend the money and have a car that weighs 2200lbs, AWD and turbo'd or save your money for the other parts and just learn to deal with wheel spin and tire hop.
8.) Internals - Now let's not forget that the 4g64 can only handle about 10 pounds of boost and remain a somewhat reliable daily driver. So, in order to match the power output of the stock evo motor, you'll need pistons, rods, valves & springs, cam gear and shaft, head studs, thicker gaskets, and a slew of other goodies.

So by the time that you've done all this, wouldn't it have just been simpler to just buy the evo clip and be happy that you've got a kick-*** platform to build on rather than sink all your money into upgrading an engine to where the other is off the factory floor? Not everybody on here is going to roll over and pretend you're a god because you bought a car pre-swapped newb. Think before you post and you'll be liked a lot better.

Old 06-15-2007, 12:27 PM

I work with what I've gotten for the best price. If you're gonna buildup yourmotor you're gonna do valve, pistons, rods, etc anyways so you shouldn't really be worried about how much boost your gonna run (unless you're going all out), you can also safely run more boost offa builtg64 because of the lower compression ratio (depending on the pistons you get). Unless you're not planning on building up the block then I would be skeptical, but the g64 is known to take almost 10lbs of boost stock fairly well and ive even seen 17lbs on a galant with pistons and cams but i wouldn't go that high. With the evo head younowhave evo cams, fuelsystem, manifolds,and even TURBO.Anythingyou get for the head will be evo so there no limit to selection.The real advantage to the G63 is AWD, if you wanna go 4wd then its the 63 hands down but if you're only looking for 2wd then why not go for the cheaper, stroker? tho it might be a lil more work with custom stuff you'll have to do.

Quick Reply: 98 DE Coupe