Mitsubishi Mirage This sport compact offers economy without compromising comfort.

Axles???

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2008, 05:03 PM
Default Axles???

For those of you who may know...i would greatly appreciate some pointers.
before i start the fabrication,
i would like to know if evolution 9 axles are too long for the width of a 97-02 mirage coupe.
i know the cars themselves are bigger in almost every aspect...so do i need custom axles?
or will an earlier generation evo axles perhaps work???

Old 04-19-2008, 08:02 PM
Default RE: Axles???

should work if memory serves correctly. only thing that i can forsee is it possibly pushing the hub out further and requiring some suspension tuning, possibly a fender roll.

Old 04-19-2008, 08:13 PM

Thanks a lot man, i've been trying to find a lot of pointers before i start my "trial and error" because i know it can be an adventure. [sm=outcold.gif]

The nice thing is i have all the parts from the evo...and i would like to be able to fab it all at once and not have to wait on particular parts.
I have a spare mirage de coupe...i think i recall you saying you had a turbo on the 4g15 setup for 9psi. i really wanna do that for the other car for my gf because the stock engine is pretty gutless. how much did you spend on the whole fabrication?? if you dont mind sharing your info.

Old 04-19-2008, 11:35 PM

you can piece together a kit for under $3k. Harderst thing to get will be the manifold and injectors. They're high impedence, but it's easy to source them from other vehicles, and with some mods they'll fit. RX7 injectors are probably the most popular as far as that goes. Manifolds on the other hand are a little more of a trick. Mine was actually a modified factory 1.5 exhaust manifold that was restrictive as hell. Easily another 10-15whp if you spend some money and have something custom made that's actually meant for a turbo application. I will warn you though, the turbo will be rough on the valves springs. The 4g15 is notorious for having valve noise after about 85k miles, and the turbo will only accelerate the issue. Not a big thing on NA motors, it'll go away once the motor warms up. But when you're boosting, the valves can tick continuously. When you go turbo, go through RPW and get a set of their valve springs just to be safe. Also be sure to upgrade your clutch. I had a stage 3 clutchmasters in mine, and while it took some getting used to, once you've got it down, it'll really help on hard take offs.

Old 04-20-2008, 10:29 PM

Thanks again.
Thats a nice thing to know...you almost make me think twice about doing the full conversion.
but it'll be nice to have the all wheel drive for launching...and its experience i could use for my own benefit in the long run.

You've been pretty helpful...gotta quarter mile time on your car??

Old 04-20-2008, 11:16 PM

only ran it once, and my best was a 15.64 on street tires and a leaky manifold. i'm more of an autocross guy myself, not super big into drags.

Old 04-21-2008, 12:42 AM

much better than my 18.91 quarter time.
and i definitely agree with that, i dont really care for straight line performance...my goal is a consistently flat power band and track usability.
which is why i took out my subs and am definitely going to go with some performance coilovers...i heard the d2's are really good.
i remember seeing that mirage turbo, if i recall correctly holley's, before she sold it.
she had those coilovers on her mirage and i have been curious to find out since then.