Mitsubishi Mirage This sport compact offers economy without compromising comfort.

my colt

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2006, 05:15 AM
Default my colt

My Dodge Colt GL, has been so loud on the inside since I bought it about six months ago. The braking system felt bad----so I had it checked, its fine, when I slow down the car feels weird-----again everything checks out fine. Then I eventually find out that the wheel bearing assembly is way way bad, apparently the car had this part bad for the six months I had it and maybe evenlonger. So I buy a new Wheel Bearing assembly and take it home. Then I'm drivin to my buddy's place where he's got a lift. All the while the bearing is sounding even worse. I get the car lifted up-----get the tire off and the damn bolt holdin the factory stock wheel bearing assembly on, decides it isn't going to budge. So I spray some grease in the bolts area. The damn thing still doesn't budge. So I take a blow torch and heat up the bolt------Then I take the air impact wrench and after a few seconds the bolt still decides it isn't gonna come off---by this time I'm so pissed off that I fling a wrench accross the damn garage. LOL. I then think to myself and my friend all along is having the time of his life. I grab a wrench and a metal pipe-----I put the metal pipe over the wrench, to give more leverage, it worked, after struggling with the bolt for a few more seconds it finally comes loose and I am able to take it off. YAY!!!! LOL!!! so I then put the new wheel bearing assembly on, which came with the bearing already pressed. Now remember all the things I said the car was doing "My Dodge Colt GL, has been so loud on the inside since I bought it about six months ago. The braking system felt bad----so I had it checked, its fine, when I slow down the car feels weird-----again everything checks out fine." The car is now so quiet inside I can hear the wipers going over the winshield, I can actually think when my CD player is off, the drive is so much better now. The car now slows evenly and normally, the brakes now feel fine, and the engine doesn't even feel like it is being dragged down anymore, i can now accelarate better, no more waiting to reach 20 mph before it accelarates better. Well than thanx for reading and feel free to reply with any thoughts.

P.S. It is amazing how something so simple and small can cause so many problems.

Old 08-30-2006, 12:21 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: my colt

I had the same problem on my talon and when i had it done they could not get the wheel bearing off the axle so i had to get a whole new axle as well. I hated the noise that thing made when it was bad to. And when you turn the wheel slightly to one side it would go away. So i would actually swerve a bit back and forth so i wouldnt have to listen to it constantly.

Old 08-30-2006, 04:15 PM
Default RE: my colt

Yeah I know it was so anoying, thankfully i got it off, i have independent suspension on my axles, that would've been too much money for me, i wouldn't have been able to get it fixed if I had to replace the axle just to replace the wheel bearing assembly.