Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

*******99 Montero Alarm issues, No start!

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2012, 08:08 PM
Default *******99 Montero Alarm issues, No start!

So of course this happens as I'm trying to sell my 99 Montero (not Sport)

Car sat for a couple weeks without starting, went to start and the battery was dead. Upon charging the battery you all know what happened, the alarm starts to go off. I don't have the keyless remote to turn it off and the LED on the dash doesn't move when you push it to rest, like its jammed. I've tried to pull it out but nothing.

So I've cut the wire to the alarm siren so it's not blaring. So now when I reconnect the battery cables and turn the ignition with the key in, the hazard lights blink in sequence with a relay clicking under the hood. It simply won't start now.

Is there a way to override the LED dash button or to disable the alarm all together. Any help is appreciated, thanks!
Jeremy

Old 09-06-2012, 03:16 PM

It's been a while but on one of my Mitsus I recall the alternate way to turn off the alarm was to lock and unlock the drivers door with the key. Probably won't help you but worth a try.

You could also try pulling the push button out of the dash (there might be enough wire slack) cutting and stripping the 3 wires and alternately touching two together. One "pair" drives the LED and the other pair goes to the push button reset contacts. Touching those togeter would be the same as having a working button.

Failing that, you'll need to dig into alarm wiring behind the drivers kneepad. Removing the power feed to the black control box will disble the alarm, but then you'll have to find the ignition cut out relay - hopefully nearby - and reconnect the starter/ignition wires. If you follow all of the colored wires that come out of the control box (there are many) one pair will lead to the relay. They cut the start wire and insert the relay when installing. Any auto stereo/alarm installation shop can help with this if needed.

Good luck.

Old 09-06-2012, 06:52 PM

where are you ??? i will stop by and show you