Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

01 Montero Sport 4X4 Tune up/Timing belt..Help

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2006, 04:11 PM
Default 01 Montero Sport 4X4 Tune up/Timing belt..Help

Alright..I have an 01 Montero Sport 3.0..I am going to replace my plugs with the NGK Iridium IX (BKR5EIX-11)..and The NGK wire set ( ME94)..Anyone know a place online that has them on sale?

Also..Would someone be willing to list everything needed (parts wise) to replace the timing belt. ie Water pump,belts,ect ect?

I would love to be able to order everything from one place..I am hoping to tackle this all next weekend..

Thanks so much in advance...

Old 12-17-2006, 09:05 PM
Default RE: 01 Montero Sport 4X4 Tune up/Timing belt..Help

Just a list of parts I am going to need..This is what I have so far

Tune up:
Plugs
Plug Wires
Plenum Gasket?

Timing belt:
water pump
timing belt kit(bearings (tensioner and idler?)and belt)
Mitsubishi Timing Tensioner
Adjuster, Hydraulic

All new belts
and radiator hoses
of course anti freeze-coolant

Please if anyone knows anything else I am going to need,let me know..I am going to order this before the end of tonight..Thanks so much for all your help!!

Old 12-18-2006, 01:05 PM

Do not use the Iridium IX plugs. They do not last as long as the Iridium Laser plugs. The IX are the cheaper Iridium which are made to be used in vehicles that do not come with Iridium plugs.

You need a plenum gasket. The spark plug replacement job is separate from the timing belt job. That wire set probably will not fit.

You might want to do the thermostat when you do the timing belt.

Old 12-18-2006, 02:12 PM

What's the mileage on the vehicle? Since you're doing the front end of the engine, you may also want to consider having the radiator "rodded" out to remove all the calcification deposits.

Old 12-18-2006, 04:25 PM

Vehicle has about 90,000 miles..And I already bought those spark plugs..Grrrr...I thought I was doing good by buying them!! It is what I get for being in a hurry..Also..The wire set is what NGK recommended on thier site for my montero..What set should I get? I have purchased everything else already..Found a guy on Ebay that sells almost everything needed for a tune up and timing belt change..

partsdinosaur.com if anyone is interested...

Old 12-18-2006, 04:41 PM

I have had a hard time finding wire sets for my '95. It is a 24valve SOHC engine design, which I believe is the same as your truck. Usually, the wire sets are made for the 12 valve engine. I was suspicious of that wire set on the NGK site, because they say it fits models that I know are 12 valve engines.

Good luck with the timing belt swap. I just did mine yesterday. It is really a suck job.

Old 12-18-2006, 04:46 PM

Suck job? I am guessing you mean terrible? Also..Where did you end up finding wires at?

Thanks!

Old 12-18-2006, 04:57 PM

I do not understand why those plug wires (ME94) wont fit..Every site I go to gives those as the wires for my vehicle..

Old 12-18-2006, 06:57 PM

OK, I looked it up again. It looks like they might be OK. It was just that the last time I looked up NGK wires for my truck they listed the same model number for my 95 as for a 92 (which is completely different). Now they don't list anything. It seems like they updated their catalog. Anyway, I hope they work for you.

It was a terrible job because so many things needed to be removed and there are a lot of difficult to reach bolts.

I got all my parts at my local parts store. They have good prices and generally have everything in stock or can get it in a couple hours.

Old 12-18-2006, 06:59 PM

What store is it? Maybe I have the same store in my town?

update:

I have called every auto part store within a 200 mile range..No one carries NGK plug wires..I guess I will be ordering them..Ebay has them for 55 shipped..Sparkplug.com is a little more expensive..I dunno man..I hate it! Thanks everyone for the help..Maybe I will give an update when I am finished with both of these jobs ...

Tim

Quick Reply: 01 Montero Sport 4X4 Tune up/Timing belt..Help