Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

01MSport: cranking engine with no hint of starting up

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2021, 05:40 PM
Default 01MSport: cranking engine not getting fuel w/ 3/4 tank

. I can crank the engine endlessly but it isnt getting fuel.It has near a full tank of gas.It sits 6 months between being driven the las 6 years or so and havent had an issue. (2yrs ago,it passed its last CA smog with 8-12 mo+ old gas in it. It has 6 month old , or less gas in it and fuel stabelizer in it.
Could the fuel pump be bad? I only remember the rubber diaphram fuel pumps in older cars and the rubber would go bad and not suck the gas to the carbuerator venturis . So the sport sounds/acts just like that.
Q-1 ) Anyone with experience have opinions what it could be?
If its the fuel pump,I can change it, IF I think its simple enough. I doubt it will be.
Q-2) where is the fuelpump located? Are they prone to fail like the older era cars
In the event I have to empthy the tank of gas,I have never been able to siphon gas from either of my montero sports.
Q I didnt think ether /starting fluids would work since furl delivery is under high pressure through injectors,.Though ether etc would be carried to the combution area at normal pressure bypassing the injector route. Not sure,just trying to figure it out since I have no experience with injector/fuell delivery systems
Q-3) Has anyone been able to? What diameter siphon did you use? 1/4" Seems like thats the largest that would get any depth with,but never reached the fuel...no idea why,been too many years ago for detail.
Q-4 Anyone had this issue of not delivering fuel to any of the cylinders ( with a good strong battery? and enough fuel)
Appreciate any help with this

Last edited by PalmSprings; 08-11-2021 at 11:02 AM. Reason: topic description