Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

02 Montero Cruise

Old 07-20-2013, 02:30 PM
Default 02 Montero Cruise

Help ... Looking for a direction for trouble shooting my cruise control.

Here is what the state of affairs looks like to date ....

1/ Cruise control indicator light on dash illuminates when cruise is activated - so it seems to maybe/possibly think it is on but my cruise doesn't work ...
2/ All brake lights etc are bright and function properly
3/ Brake switch seems to work right and be within specs I found in the FSM
4/ Vacuum lines and the (not sure what it's called) but the little control valve up by the throttle body/butterfly/accelerator contol holds vacuum

5/My next step I think is the servo/vacuum motor ... 4 pins in it ... can't find anywhere that says what the pins are/control and any electrical specs along with it ... how do I check to make sure it works properly on a Montero?

6/ If the servo works then the next is the control modules ... info? specs?

Any help, suggestions, similar things would be greatly appreciated ... no cruise on a long trip isn't a good thing.

Thx
Steve

Old 07-20-2013, 06:11 PM
Default Vacuum Servo ...

OK ... took the servo off ... I am not an electrical genius but unless someone can explain some other way it works ... seems like there is a short in it somewhere.

If I take it apart and strictly power the motor in it ... motor purrs like a kitten
BUT

top of servo
looking at plug (can't find any wiring diagrams for it)

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
x x
x 1c 2c x
x x
x x
x 4c 3c x
x x
xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

2&3 appear to power the motor but when I it's all back together and try to power it via those two connections ... doesn't sound very good ... motor struggles (remember worked fine when I powered it direct when apart)

Resistance across connections
1-2 60 ohms
2-3 60 ohms
3-4 54 ohms
4-1 54 ohms
1-3 109 ohms
2-4 6 ohms

They are all open across all of the terminals ... that shouldn't be possible should it? as there would need to be some barrier for switching - like I said not electric guru but this doesn't seem right?

That would explain would it not ... why the motor runs fine when powered direct but reminiscent of a sick cat when I try to power it thru the plug (shorting out?)

Thx

Old 07-20-2013, 06:13 PM
Default Pic didn't turn out

Was trying to make an x'd box to show the plug but didn't come out that well.

Still the c(connection) is in the right order and idea looking at the plug from top to bottom.