Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

02 Sport Trans Slipping out of Gear

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2010, 11:18 PM
Default 02 Sport Trans Slipping out of Gear

Have a 02 Sport that has the following problems:

1. Intermittent - after shifting from P to R and backing up and then shifting into D. Transmission will sometimes not engage. Requires shifting in to park and shutting down engine and starting again.

2. Intermittent - while stoped a stop sign/light and then trying to drive off the vehicle will not go. Had to rev engine to about 6K RPM before it engaged.

Recently had trans flushed at ~ 80K at the dealer and replaced with Diamond III fluid per spec.

Issues noted above occurred before and after the flush.

Took vehicle back to dealer and at first they could not replicate. They finally had # 2 above happen and had the code reader attached. No codes were reported.

Dealer now seems to think at least #2 is caused by hydrulic pump lossing prime.

Anyone with similar problem - if so solutions?

Old 09-14-2010, 07:22 PM

Well as expected the dealer could not diagnose the problem so I wound up taking it to a local independent trans tech shop. I dropped it off at night and the next morning when they tried to move it into the shop they could not get it into gear. When they finally got it into the shop they dropped the pan and discovered crud (shavings) in the pan and the filter was a mess. It is obvious that when the dealer flushed the trans they did not drop the pan. Had they done so they would have saw this too. Instead a screwed around with them for about three weeks during whcih time they were driving my vehicle trying to replicate the problem.

I did a quick Google of trans flushes and there seems to be an issue with the trans cooler type flushes which dealers tell you that they don't need to drop the pan or change the filter. It seems this type can push the flushed crud into the pan which can be picked up and clog the filter. Unlike in the engine oil system where the filter is behind the pump and a by pass value will allow fluid to pass if the filter becomes clogged. The trans filter is in front of the pump and if it gets gets clogged there is no bypass and no fluid gets to the trans.

Old 09-14-2010, 08:58 PM

Glad to hear that you got a handle on the situation.
Dealer ATF flushes are run through a pressurized machine, so I can see how your problem may have happened.
If you're interested in the filter change, along with the fluid exchange, it's extra.
The filter is just a brillo pad looking thing. If you're prepared with liquid gasket for the reinstall, it's not too tough.
You can get OEM parts from this site:

https://www.mitsubishiparts.com/oe_parts_catalog.html

(In case you are over the local dealer.)

Good Luck

Old 09-15-2010, 11:48 AM

Hey Z, I have the filter kit that I got from Checkers and it has a 1/8" rubber pan gasket. Is that what you use or permatex?

Old 09-15-2010, 05:44 PM

I used liquid gasket, but I can't recall the brand.
It always seems easier when reinstalling the pan when I use the liquid.
But, hey, I don't do it for a living...

I would use the OEM gasket if I had already purchased the kit.

Good Luck