Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

03 Montero Ltd Front intermittant grinding noise

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2009, 05:58 PM
Default 03 Montero Ltd Front intermittant grinding noise

Anyone ever come across an intermittent grinding noise in the front passenger area? It started doing it upon braking (but the brakes are fairly new), but has since started doing it even when driving and accelerating. My gut is telling me it's a wheel bearing, which I'm being quoted about $1000 to replace both bearings and hubs. The dealer isn't quite sure as they can't get it to duplicate the noise (shocker there huh?). Can anyone think of something else it could be? It has about 87,000 miles on it. Thanks.

Last edited by nesport; 10-03-2009 at 05:59 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 10-03-2009, 11:32 PM

i have done several of these. 1 a few weeks ago. customer complained of bad grinding noise at times when comming to a stop at high speeds or at very low speeds. 1st one was a b*#!@ to diagnose but it was it was the solenoid pack that controls 4wd engagement. loses vacume when comming to a stop and the 4wd slightly engages and thus the grind you hear. that solenoid pack is located on the passengers side wheel well area in the engine compartment. not very expensive. around 50 bucks. not hard to change either. just watch your vacume lines and dont mix them up. good luck!!

Old 10-06-2009, 09:08 PM

How do you test to see if that's what it is? Is there any chance that it could be the wheel beerings/hubs? The mechanic says he visited some sites and found a tech tip that said that the hubs have a defect in them and to replace if this occurs. He's always been good with me over the years with multiple cars, so I don't think he's trying to screw me, but at the same time he doesn't do a lot of work around Montero's so he may just not know. If there's a test like running it in 4wd and it not doing it, I'm in for that test. Thanks.

Old 10-06-2009, 10:02 PM

Maybe it's the same thing that's happening in this thread...

https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=34006

Old 10-27-2009, 11:21 PM

so it was the 4wd solenoid, actually two of them. Way cheaper than the hubs/bearings. Thanks.

Old 10-28-2009, 01:49 AM

Wow big thanks for jgbrules on that diagnosis.

Old 10-30-2009, 04:24 AM

It could also be the free wheel switch, located on the front differential. That is even cheaper than the solenoid pack, but a bit of a pain to replace.

Old 04-08-2011, 04:23 PM

What is the P/N for the 4WD solenoid? Is it also called the "FREEWHEEL CLUTCH CONTROL SOLENOID"? My Monty is having this same issue and before I replace the front bearing assemblies, as the shop recommended, I'll try this less expensive option.

Old 04-08-2011, 06:27 PM

falcaineer, A wheel bearing is usually easy to check by jacking the wheel up and spinning and grabbing it, feeling for too much give/noise. It should be possible to rule this out as your problem. Sorry, don't have P/N for that solenoid. Anyone? Hello, Bueller?

Good catch challenger4x4 on that previous thread. When he stated the problem it made me immediately jump back to that same place.

Last edited by mothman52; 04-08-2011 at 06:33 PM.
Old 04-11-2011, 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by mothman52
falcaineer, A wheel bearing is usually easy to check by jacking the wheel up and spinning and grabbing it, feeling for too much give/noise. It should be possible to rule this out as your problem. Sorry, don't have P/N for that solenoid. Anyone? Hello, Bueller?

Good catch challenger4x4 on that previous thread. When he stated the problem it made me immediately jump back to that same place.
Thanks, mothman. Just did the brakes a few weeks ago and didn't notice any extra give in the bearings. So, it's on to the solenoid (aka Freewheel Clutch Valve), and thanks to nesport, I was able to get the part number: MR430381.

Will report back if this fixes the issue, but I swear as I read the comments and questions about symptoms above, especially those from nesport, it's as if I was typing them!

Quick Reply: 03 Montero Ltd Front intermittant grinding noise