Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

'03 Montero -New Owner Questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2005, 05:04 PM
Default '03 Montero -New Owner Questions

I just purchased an '03 Montero LTD with 33k on it. I have a couple of questions for the more "experienced" owners than myself.

It seems that when I take off from a dead stop, it shifts the first couple of gears very quickly. If I hit the accelerator too hard it will almost jerk. Is this normal of a Montero. I am used to driving a Ford and don't know if its just the difference in how it switches gears.

Also, the brakes have started squealing. I noticed them for the 1st time at lunch yesterday. They didn't do it after work; didn't do it this morning; but they started squealing at lunch again today. Any ideas what could be causing this?

Thanks so much for your help!!
Delta

Old 06-15-2005, 05:51 PM
Default RE: '03 Montero -New Owner Questions

Hello, I have an '03 and I love it. As far as "going through the gears quickly", it has five speeds so there are a lot of gears to go through. The first gear in Montero's has always been very low. As far as "jerking if you push the accelerator too hard", well, that is a good thing isnt it?(I guess that Ford was a dog?) As far as a light squeal when the brakes are cold, that can be difficult to resolve, but it won't hurt anything. How about that stereo!? Put in Green Day's American Idiot and turn it up to 39.

Old 06-15-2005, 06:47 PM
Default RE: '03 Montero -New Owner Questions

I am really enjoying the ride!!!! And you're right, it does have a kickin' stereo. If I had to pick my favorite feature it would be that HUGE sunroof!!!!

I'm glad to hear that the quick gear change is a common thing and nothing wrong with the truck. It is alot different than my Explorer but I can't say anything bad about my Expy either because it carried me for many, many miles and i loved it too. In fact, I still have it!!

The vehicle is still under factory warranty so I will probably call the dealership and have them give the brakes a look, just to be on the safe side.