Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

'03 Sport DIY Engine service questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2009, 11:31 AM
Default '03 Sport DIY Engine service questions

I recently completed a total engine rebuild on our other vehicle (not a Mitsu) and now have turned my attention to my '03 Montero Sport LS for some preventative maintenance. It has 110k on it and I'm planning to change out the timing belt, water pump, tensioners, other belts, plugs and wires...there is also a slight oil leak somewhere that I'd like to track down. With winter close at hand, I'll probably wait until March or so but would like to start getting the parts and studying up on what I'm going to do.

I have a few questions for you guys...

Is there anything else I should think about replacing/checking while I'm under the hood?

How much of the front end do I need to disassemble to make getting to the timing parts easier?

Are there any posts on the board with procedures for timing belts and/or spark plugs you guys can direct me to?

When I did my recent rebuild, a board similar to this was invaluable so any input and additional advice is greatly appreciated!