Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

06 mits montero 3.8l limited

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2019, 01:57 AM
Default 06 mits montero 3.8l limited

I am original owner of my 06 monty 176000. Kept up with his maintenance, never had anything go wrong other then the normal things. Tiers, brakes, roters, oil changes, 2 batteries, 1 alternator, 1 speaker rear combo, and a coolant cleaning. Other then that nothing needed when inspected. Hes still on same timing belt. A year ago i had road tire tred shot throughout the undercarriage of my monty. Well a month later my top of my engin blew, no compression, head seals gone, coolant and oil everywhere. Under passenger side by heatercore is 2 t contactors in pvc if you have those you might want to switch to the metal kind. It had a slow leak unknown until it ruptured and i lost all coolant on the hwy and it shut off by itself with no warning. Had to have all top end seals replaced, heads mechined, plugs, boots, spark plugs, oil seal timing cover, was a mess. New t conectors in metal. 6 month warranty and 3 days later oil is leaking everywhere. Today monty is in the shop but a different one. The valve covers leaking cant find them both dealer only stocking one side. Covers themselves are warped. I still will have a oil leak from the pan gasket. shop says its a small leak but a 5 hour job im thinking enough already its a oil pan is it really a 5 hour job????

Old 03-27-2019, 03:28 PM

I think both valve covers have the same "footprint" since they use exactly the same valve cover seals. If you rotate one 180 degrees, you might be able to fit it on the "wrong" side. If that is the case, you'd just need modify the one site. Weld over the oil filler plug and drill out a small hole for PCV valve or cut the oil fill from old valve cover and weld it onto the new one.

Old 03-27-2019, 04:12 PM
Default Oil pan gasket was main question on duration. Info on t conectors needed to be known.

The LH valve cover discontinued Manufacturing in USA. One used available for 800 not including shipping. They are a molded hard plastics can not be welded.

Old 03-28-2019, 06:50 PM

Darn. Older ones ('01 use metal valve covers). What about using plastic weld epoxy material? I've used Permatec and JB Weld brands with very good results https://www.permatex.com/products/ad...lastic-welder/
Your only other option would be e-bay and junk yards...

Old 03-30-2019, 01:54 AM

You can try these guys:
https://partsouq.com/en/catalog/genu...&uid=114216&q=
Looks like they have Left Hand cover, but not the right. I've ordered many times from them. Very happy - genuine Mitsubishi parts, less cost than most other places even after shipping.
Just plug in your VIN to make sure you are on the right model.

Old 03-30-2019, 02:12 AM
Default Thanks

Thank you for the link. The right hand side is only one i need now. Got the left one into the shop but still will have oil leak from pan gasket. Have you ever replaced yours?

Old 03-30-2019, 10:28 AM
Default Oil pan

Yes, I can definitely see that as being a 5 hour job. These trucks have two-piece pans and its blocked in by the front drivetrain, on the gen 2s anyway.