Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

1988 Mitsubishi Montero

Old 05-18-2010, 01:52 AM
Default 1988 Mitsubishi Montero

Hey, i picked up this 88 montero about 5 months ago for 400 bucks with a busted radiator and some misc needs. Since then ive added a new radiator, new water pump, and ALL Maint. needs. The previous owner really liked this car but wasnt to keen on keeping it maintained. Its pretty much standard with a 2.6L and 5 speed manual. Came accross this forum and saw a bunch of cool looking rides so decided to pitch any help i could offer or for answers. here some pics of my "new" ride.Name:  montero.jpg
Views: 6773
Size:  154.3 KB
Name:  montero2.jpg
Views: 2463
Size:  7.6 KB

Old 05-18-2010, 06:08 AM

Nice lookin' ride ya got there. What part of the country are you in (noticed the palm tree in the back)? I've got an '89, sig block lists my mods so far, and now I'm working on getting a new gauge pod for the dash (my inclinometer doesn't work)...

Old 05-18-2010, 12:19 PM

Im in phoenix, az and i saw yours i like the grey way more than this red. When i bought the car it didn't have the middle guage in the pod on the dash im thinking of just putting a diamond plate cover for it. You planning on lifting yours?

Old 05-18-2010, 01:34 PM

Here some more pics of the interior and a little more of the exterior. I hade to make the diamond plate face for the radio since the original was stolen the day before i bought it. As you see ive got some work to do on the headliner.
Name:  Montero068.jpg
Views: 2519
Size:  74.3 KB Name:  Montero069.jpg
Views: 2679
Size:  117.5 KBName:  Montero067.jpg
Views: 4147
Size:  98.8 KB Name:  Montero066.jpg
Views: 2621
Size:  96.6 KBName:  Montero070.jpg
Views: 2850
Size:  104.2 KB

Old 05-18-2010, 09:11 PM

I don't plan on doing any serious off-roading, so I'm not going to lift mine. With the 16x7 wheels and 265/70 Sumitomo AT tires, it has a nice wide agressive look, and plenty of room in the wheel wells. Plus, with the money I'd save by NOT lifting it, I can get some of the other things on my list. I'm getting a front steering stabilizer installed tomorrow, and the other things on my list include an iPod compatible head unit and new antenna; roof rack; and maybe adapting a turbo system from a Starion / Conquest to the Monty engine. I'm lucky in that the body and interior are in great shape, with only a small rust bubble at the top of the windshield, and a very small area of cracked paint at the left rear fender. I plan on getting those two items fixed soon, hopefully in the next month or two, and having the body professionally detailed, to bring out the shine again. All in all, so far so good, and hopefully this Monty will be around for another 21 years...

Attached Thumbnails 1988 Mitsubishi Montero-dscn0590a.jpg   1988 Mitsubishi Montero-dscn0593a.jpg   1988 Mitsubishi Montero-dscn0594a.jpg   1988 Mitsubishi Montero-dscn0598a.jpg  
Old 05-19-2010, 11:52 AM

you have to let me know how the steering stabalizer install goes i wanted to do one to mine, but first i have to re-do the entire front end with rotors, pads and cv boots.

Old 05-19-2010, 04:50 PM

Here's a pic of my steering stabilizer installed. Couple of things to note. On mine, there was a bracket for the "loop" end of the steering stabilizer, which was a pleasant surprise. So the shop only had to install the bracket for the "stem" side, once they figured out where that end had to go. I ordered a Rancho steering stabilizer off Amazon.com, and they sent me one with a "stem" on both ends, so I had to purchase the correct one at the offroad shop, and I'll be returning theirs for a refund.

With the front skid plate on, you can't really see the stabilizer, which is a good thing, because hopefully it'll keep the shaft cleaner than if it was hanging out in the breeze. While they had the skid plate off, I noticed it's fairly grungy under there, but again, you can't really see it. I'll probably change the front diff, trans, transfer case, and rear diff fluids very soon, probably within the next 30 days. Since I have no idea of maintenance done by the previous owners, I figure I better start with a clean sheet, thus the new shocks, sparkplugs, and air filter.

I have a line on a turbo setup from a Conquest/Starion, so I'll pull that string and see what happens. I have a guy who's a Suzuki Samurai and Sidekick guru in the local area, and he said he'd install the turbo kit if I provide the parts. He swapped in a fuel-injected 16-valve motor into a Sammy, then installed a Saab turbo and fabbed up everything else, to include an intercooler. So I think installing a Conquest/Starion turbo system is easily within his skills.

Attached Thumbnails 1988 Mitsubishi Montero-dscn0600a.jpg  
Old 01-01-2011, 04:51 PM
Default 88 montero

just picked up my 88 montero from a friend a few weeks ago. in a small collision and i bought it from him for 300$. heater core went out. which sucks super bad. and now my alternator is bad! ugh, but i love it. i tucked 33's on it for the highway. ran great but had to return them to my father. i have mud terrains that i didnt want to give um.

Attached Thumbnails 1988 Mitsubishi Montero-2011-01-01_14.23.12.jpg   1988 Mitsubishi Montero-2010-12-26_11.14.06-1.jpg  
Old 01-01-2011, 04:59 PM

Any ideas. I'm curious. I have a bit of problems on hills. And if I floor it it acts likes its choking for gas. Likes its not getting enough fuel. It has 172xxx on it. just curious if anyone else may have the same issue

Old 04-04-2014, 01:51 PM
Default Response to Jan 2011 comment Montero loses power on hills

Maybe it's EGR valve. EGR=Exhaust Gas Recirculation to carburator for air pollution control. Normally the carburator likes fresh air. Increase EGR flow during high loads and Decrease EGR flow for low loads to improve driveability. So at idle and wide open throttle, EGR valve closes. Under load (acceleration) EGR valve opens. (Pages 6-9 to 6-11 Haynes Repair Manual, Pickups and Montero 1983 thru 1993) You can also take the valve out of its housing to clean it and replace the gasket.

So for my 1988 Montero, it appears the EGR valve is sticking closed. You can't find or order this part from local parts stores (NAPA, Advance Auto, AutoZone) but there's 4 on the internet (Mitsubishi Parts Warehouse $189 and three on Ebay $60, $171, $209). I disabled the EGR (removed and plugged one hose) and it runs a little better but still low power on acceleration.

I thought it was the choke sticking because of similar symptoms last winter on extremely cold days but the choke checks out good. I've had this Montero for about 16 months and now it's my only car, surviving 2 others. I don't have a picture right now but I'll try to come back and post one.

Attached Thumbnails 1988 Mitsubishi Montero-88montero.jpg   1988 Mitsubishi Montero-egrvalve.jpg  

Last edited by MightyMontero; 04-04-2014 at 03:56 PM. Reason: Picture.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1988 Mitsubishi Montero