Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

1995 montero sr check engine light question

Old 03-06-2015, 03:30 PM
Default 1995 montero sr check engine light question

Hey can anyone point me in the right direction to where the diagnistic plug is for checking engine error codes on my 95 montero sr? and to which port i need to ground to get the codes to blink my error code. pictures would be a great help or any info thanx. My CEL light started coming on then it will turn off after about ten minutes then stay off for a couple of days then come on out of the blue again. it basically comes on and goes off when it wants and its annoying. but the truck runs perfectly fine so just trying to figure out why its doing that.

Old 03-07-2015, 03:13 PM

Well finally found what i was looking for and found out that i have a code 11 and 43. 11 could be o2 sensor,fuel pressure,Injectors or intake air leaks. and 43 could be EGR valve, EGR temp. sensor, EGR solenoid or EGR valve control vaccum.

I used a paper clip to jump the terminals, the plug is under and alittle to the right of the fuse box (black plug)
Insert into terminal 1 diagnostic terminal and either 4 or 5 which are both ground i used terminal 5 for ground.

Turn ignition to the on position ONLY.
Check engine light will start to blink the code sequences if you have any.
One long blink equals 10 and shorter quick blinks equal 1
Example: 3 long blinks followed by 5 short blinks will be a code 35.

NOTE: Before u start writing numbers down I would watch the sequence a few times and try and determine how many codes you have and learn the pauses inbetween each code because after each long blink there will be a pause and then give you your number of quick blinks if any. Then once the code is done there will be a little longer pause that is not much longer than the pauses inbetween so learn the code and pauses correctly before writing down what code(s) you have because you would hate to write down saying you have a code 10 and a code 3 when actually you have a code 33 if that makes any sence.
If anyone needs to know what code is what lemme know. Hope this helps.

Attached Thumbnails 1995 montero sr check engine light question-20150307_122230.jpg  
Old 08-26-2019, 11:39 PM
Default Help...

Originally Posted by shownuff80
Well finally found what i was looking for and found out that i have a code 11 and 43. 11 could be o2 sensor,fuel pressure,Injectors or intake air leaks. and 43 could be EGR valve, EGR temp. sensor, EGR solenoid or EGR valve control vaccum.

I used a paper clip to jump the terminals, the plug is under and alittle to the right of the fuse box (black plug)
Insert into terminal 1 diagnostic terminal and either 4 or 5 which are both ground i used terminal 5 for ground.

Turn ignition to the on position ONLY.
Check engine light will start to blink the code sequences if you have any.
One long blink equals 10 and shorter quick blinks equal 1
Example: 3 long blinks followed by 5 short blinks will be a code 35.

NOTE: Before u start writing numbers down I would watch the sequence a few times and try and determine how many codes you have and learn the pauses inbetween each code because after each long blink there will be a pause and then give you your number of quick blinks if any. Then once the code is done there will be a little longer pause that is not much longer than the pauses inbetween so learn the code and pauses correctly before writing down what code(s) you have because you would hate to write down saying you have a code 10 and a code 3 when actually you have a code 33 if that makes any sence.
If anyone needs to know what code is what lemme know. Hope this helps.
Same codes Im getting on my 94 SR. Have tried to figure out the issue but no luck. Idle is a little rough, CEL comes on then off then on. Were you able to track down what fixed 11 and 43 codes? Thanks!