Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

1997 Montero SR Snow tires

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2006, 03:35 PM
Default 1997 Montero SR Snow tires

I live in the Green Mtns of VT on a steep dirt road and need studded tires.

Four questions:

Can I substitute 235/75 R15 for the stock 265/70 R15 on stock rims to save a few bucks?

What tire would you recommend?

What, specifically, does Max load mean and why do I care?

Does anyone have experience with Vulcan tire? Specifically http://www.vulcantire.com/wintcatssts_s.htm

Thanks in advance!

Old 11-12-2006, 11:00 PM
Default RE: 1997 Montero SR Snow tires

Yes that size can be mounted on those rims. The stock size is effectively a 29x9.25" tire while the replacement size is a 30x10.5" tire. Should be ok for a 7" wide rim.

Not sure what works best for studded tires though since I live in the lowlands of California and don't get snow here that frequently.

Max load is the maximum safe load an individual tire can support when filled with air to it's maximum psi rating. Reason this is important is self explanatory but if it isn't I'd put down the keys and stop driving since it's kind of a common sense thing.

One thing that won't necessarily be common sense is the weight at each axle which is not so easy to figure out. The most accurate way to find out is to weigh your rig at a commercial vehicle scale.

In general, the stock vehicle weight for montero's is roughly 3000-4000 lbs. (+/- depending on model year, accessories, options, etc.). Add to that the load your carrying, yourself, fuel, luggage, etc. and you get your actual vehicle weight. Divide that by 4 and you get a "rough" estimate of the load at each tire. If thats more than the tire's max load, then you have a problem and should unload some of the weight. If it's close, then take your monty where it can be weighed. I take mine to a local landfill (AKA the dumps) and weight it there. Unfortunately it only gives the total weight as its a single scale. More sophisticated scales will weigh the front and rear axle separately so you know the load at each axle and can change your air pressure accordingly. Contact your tire manufacturer with the weight info for their input on the proper inflation rate at that weight.

Well... that's if you want to be **** about it anyway.... I simply fill my BFG MT KM 33x12.5s to 32psi which is confortable enough and a high enough psi to hopefully reduce my on-road footprint and therefore reduce friction which further increases fuel efficiency while reducing tire wear.

Sorry, no experience w/ vulcan tires.

Old 11-12-2006, 11:41 PM

Thanks, off roader.

regarding maxload, what is not self-explanatory is why, when I spec a tire at various internet sites, they offer tires for a Montero SR and a Montero SR Max Load. Seems to be an invitation to litigation if you sell me a tire that won't handle the vehcle's max load

Old 11-13-2006, 02:30 AM

ORIGINAL: lovinmrv

Thanks, off roader.

regarding maxload, what is not self-explanatory is why, when I spec a tire at various internet sites, they offer tires for a Montero SR and a Montero SR Max Load. Seems to be an invitation to litigation if you sell me a tire that won't handle the vehcle's max load
Where did you find that? First Ive ever seen/heard of this kind of marketing.

Old 11-13-2006, 07:41 AM

this is one site...there are others, as well...

http://www.maxxis.com/products/autom..._your_tire.asp