Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

2000 montero limited cylinder four misfire at idle only?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2015, 11:43 AM
Default 2000 montero limited cylinder four misfire at idle only?

hey guys! New to this forum. Need some help please!
last summer i bought a 2000 montero limited 3.5L sohc with 164k miles. Ran great for the first few months and we were very happy with the buy. Then it started missing a little. Then a "little" got worse... fast! Put my code reader on it and ran a cylinder four misfire and insufficient fuel flow. Checked the injectors and 4 was rough. Sent all injectors in to be taken apart and cleaned. Cylinder four injector was bad even after the cleaning.
In my research i also discovered you're supposed to change timing belt,water pump,timingbelt tensioner every 60k miles. So thanks to this forum, i did just that. Also i replaced all cam seals because one of them was leaking just a little above the alternator. Then replaced plugs, wires and valve cover gaskets. Put it all back together and it ran great for about 30 miles, but then the light came on again. Cylinder four misfire!!! But the kicker is, it runs perfect at anything over 1500-2000rpm only missing at an idle. Has normal power driving down the road.
Also, i live in Wisconsin. Right now, it is about 0 degrees. When i start it while it's this cold it has a rattle noise. I thought it was a skid plate or something loose at first, but it sounds internal. So my thoughts are maybe a valve? But why? From what I've read about these, you can't be off a tooth on timing or you've wrecked it. Plus it has plenty of power when on the throttle. Did I run it too long with a bad injector? The miss is on cylinder four, same as where the bad injector was. Or could it be electrical? pcm maybe? I thought maybe egr valve but i know that should show throw a code on my scanner.
I'm stumped. This week i will start tearing it down to do a compression check on number four. But if it is a valve can anyone tell me why? Is this something i want to tackle, or should i just sell it? I imagine dealer prices for this job are way out of my budget so if anyone can help it would be greatly apreciated. Hate to get rid of the Montero because it is such nice family vehicle, except for this problem now.
Thank you everyone in advance hope to hear something soon!

Last edited by montylimited; 02-23-2015 at 09:07 AM.
Old 02-22-2015, 06:25 PM

do they not teach paragraphing where you come from?

Old 02-22-2015, 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by Akzle
do they not teach paragraphing where you come from?
Apparently not. Sorry the SENTENCE STRUCTURE isn't up to your standards. paragraphing isn't even the issue here. .... it's punctuation. so while trying to be a dick, you just made yourself sound stupid. Obviously they don't teach manners or respect where you come from. nothing to say in regards to the actual situation posted? Then why waste my time? Dont be dousche.

Old 02-22-2015, 07:10 PM

Did you check your spark plugs? Perhaps the one on cylinder 4 is bad/fouled?

Old 02-22-2015, 07:19 PM

Not since they were replaced. But it was a cylinder 4misfire in the beginning, and we replaced plugs and wires along with injector 4. Still have the misfire.

Old 02-22-2015, 11:28 PM

Originally Posted by montylimited
Not since they were replaced. But it was a cylinder 4misfire in the beginning, and we replaced plugs and wires along with injector 4. Still have the misfire.

Have the compression checked on that cylinder. Injector pulse with a noid light. Doesnt matter how many injectors you install, if there is no power to it, it wont work and check manifold vacuum, make sure it doesnt fluctuate.

Old 02-23-2015, 02:53 AM

Originally Posted by montylimited
Apparently not. Sorry the SENTENCE STRUCTURE isn't up to your standards. paragraphing isn't even the issue here. .... it's punctuation. so while trying to be a dick, you just made yourself sound stupid. Obviously they don't teach manners or respect where you come from. nothing to say in regards to the actual situation posted? Then why waste my time? Dont be dousche.
you can't have parapraphs without sentences. i didn't actually get to notice your lack of punctuation, since i cant be arsed reading your wall of text.

you're obviously not sorry, you continue to suck at communication.

i have plenty of manners, and respect, you're hardly proving yourself worthy of either.

again, i cbf reading your situation posted, thankfully there's guys like hunter who can be bothered with your crap.

and you spelled douche incorrectly. top job. top job.

Old 02-23-2015, 07:57 AM

you can't have parapraphs without sentences. i didn't actually get to notice your lack of punctuation, since i cant be arsed reading your wall of text.

you're obviously not sorry, you continue to suck at communication.

i have plenty of manners, and respect, you're hardly proving yourself worthy of either.

again, i cbf reading your situation posted, thankfully there's guys like hunter who can be bothered with your crap.

and you spelled douche incorrectly. top job. top job.
You're a little ***** ****. How old are you? I'm a 24 year old mother of two and take care of special needs children. The little boy who has begging to learn the computer is 11, and was overwhelmed with joy when I let him do the typing for me. Out of respect for his little pride I didn't go back and edit anything since it was relatively easy for myself to comprehend. Can't even let him see the thread responses because it would crush him to hear someone be so mean about his "paragraphing".
There was no reason for your comment. What a juvenile move, to judge and make assumptions about someone without even knowing them. You sir/lady are exactly what's wrong with this world.
And yes , how wonderful it is that there's still decent people out there who would help someone in need without being an egotistical *******.
good day sir/lady

Old 02-23-2015, 08:46 AM

Originally Posted by ricardohd91
Have the compression checked on that cylinder. Injector pulse with a noid light. Doesnt matter how many injectors you install, if there is no power to it, it wont work and check manifold vacuum, make sure it doesnt fluctuate.
Thank you! hopefully I'll be bringing it in tonight to start tearing it apart. Haven't done the compression test yet, but the vacuum appeared fine, along with all the hoses and clamps. if it is indeed the compression then that indicates the whole manifold needs to be taken off for a valve/head job? Or what?

Old 02-23-2015, 08:10 PM

Blah Blah Blah...
Guys/Ladies, you can safely ignore most of Akzle's posts. There is usually no knowledge of any specifics included and generally the posts are relegated to tormenting the noobs. The guy has been suspended/banned at least once already for this type of behavior/posting. Just skip over the posts and stay focused on the issue at hand. Good luck to us all trying not to get side tracked.

Quick Reply: 2000 montero limited cylinder four misfire at idle only?