Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

2000 montero limited cylinder four misfire at idle only?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2015, 01:27 AM

Originally Posted by montylimited
You're a little ***** ****. How old are you? I'm a 24 year old mother of two and take care of special needs children. The little boy who has begging to learn the computer is 11, and was overwhelmed with joy when I let him do the typing for me. Out of respect for his little pride I didn't go back and edit anything since it was relatively easy for myself to comprehend. Can't even let him see the thread responses because it would crush him to hear someone be so mean about his "paragraphing".
There was no reason for your comment. What a juvenile move, to judge and make assumptions about someone without even knowing them. You sir/lady are exactly what's wrong with this world.
And yes , how wonderful it is that there's still decent people out there who would help someone in need without being an egotistical *******.
good day sir/lady
in this day and age? an 11 year old child has to beg to get on a computer? well done. my 6 year old can manage paragraphs.
pro tip - don't try and protect them too much, the world is a "mean" place, and it's worse than "people like me" infact, maybe you could even learn something here.

juvenile? judgemental? oh lol. honey, stick around, i'm going to get lulz out of you. the riony is strong with this one.

and i've not been knighted, as such not a sir, and certainly no lady.

i'll help those who help themselves. contrary to hunter's ***-ertion, i haven't racked up 1000 posts solely by abusing people.

seriously, how hard is it to hit enter a couple of times?

Old 02-24-2015, 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by Akzle
i haven't racked up 1000 posts solely by abusing people.

seriously, how hard is it to hit enter a couple of times?
Here we go again. The toiled just wouldn't flush...
I bet out of your 1000 posts 900 are smart *** comments.

Old 02-25-2015, 12:10 AM

Originally Posted by HunterD
Here we go again. The toiled just wouldn't flush...
I bet out of your 1000 posts 900 are smart *** comments.
would you bet that? what would you bet?

nuts on the table man. it's easy to talk a big game on the internet but how about back your **** up.
bet your car on it.
dare ya.
blouse.

but hey, lets just skip over it and stay focused on the issue at hand. Good luck to us all trying not to get side tracked.

Old 02-25-2015, 01:20 PM

Thank you! hopefully I'll be bringing it in tonight to start tearing it apart. Haven't done the compression test yet, but the vacuum appeared fine, along with all the hoses and clamps. if it is indeed the compression then that indicates the whole manifold needs to be taken off for a valve/head job? Or what?
Well it depends on where the cylinder is leaking. You would have to do a leak down test on that cylinder to find out. Could be at intake/exhaust valve or cylinder rings or head gasket. But first compression check.

Ps: Feels like I'm the only one actually trying to help instead of whipping my e-peen out on whose the biggest c**t. I'm so sorry to see you deal with people who are completely incapable of being nice.

Old 02-25-2015, 10:24 PM

From what I've read about these, you can't be off a tooth on timing or you've wrecked it.
Actually you can be off by a single tooth. The engine will run almost normal at mid and high RPM, but will stumble at idle and you'll get a Random Multiple Cylinder Misfire code. If you are off by two teeth, you'll notice lack of power and again multiple cylinder misfire. At three teeth off you are going to be beating cylinder against the valves and destroying your engine.
Since you are getting only a single cylinder misfire, it is not likely to be a timing belt issue. I'm still at a loss what can be causing this. Any luck pulling the freeze frame data when you check the codes?

Old 02-25-2015, 10:44 PM

Originally Posted by HunterD
Actually you can be off by a single tooth. The engine will run almost normal at mid and high RPM, but will stumble at idle and you'll get a Random Multiple Cylinder Misfire code. If you are off by two teeth, you'll notice lack of power and again multiple cylinder misfire. At three teeth off you are going to be beating cylinder against the valves and destroying your engine.
Since you are getting only a single cylinder misfire, it is not likely to be a timing belt issue. I'm still at a loss what can be causing this. Any luck pulling the freeze frame data when you check the codes?
do you know that for a fact with these specific engines?

typically cam teeth are ~10 degrees. and being 10 degrees out on your valve timing WILL f*ck engines.

Old 02-26-2015, 12:50 AM

Yes I do know that for fact. Unlike you I don't pull my answers out thin air.

Old 02-26-2015, 06:03 AM

for the record, i am recommending that you dont run a belt even one tooth off.

Old 02-26-2015, 08:19 AM

It isn't hard to get off by a tooth. When I first applied my timing belt I managed to be off by one tooth. Fortunately, I was able to catch this when I turn the motor by hand (ratchet) and things didn't line up as they did when I started.

It would probably be most helpful to know what codes are appearing, if any. If you don't have a code reader, I really like
this this
bluetooth code reader from amazon. It is inexpensive ($25) and works with my android smartphone. Only warning is it does not work with iOS/iPhones.

Old 02-26-2015, 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by Akzle
for the record, i am recommending that you dont run a belt even one tooth off.
Nobody is "recommending" to run the engine with a tooth off on a timing belt. I said if you are off by a tooth - the engine will run, but not well. That is a long way from setting your timing belt off by a tooth on purpose.
The point was that the single cylinder misfire will not be caused by a timing belt issue. It is something else that causes it.

Quick Reply: 2000 montero limited cylinder four misfire at idle only?