Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

2001 3.5L Montero Sport Automatic transmission problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2014, 03:08 PM
Default 2001 3.5L Montero Sport Automatic transmission problem

Newbie to both this site and to Montero. It's my daughter's Monty (She calls it Missy). She bought Missy last week. The alternator wasn't working, so we spent some dad and daughter time teaching her how to troubleshoot the charging system ( I was an armor mechanic in the Army years ago). After replacing the alternator, we had the low idle problem, which we found the relearn solution here. During the test run, the truck would shift from second to third, and third into drive with an increase in engine RPM as it shifts, then the RPM would drop as it engages into gear with a clunk. Does the truck have to relearn how to shift like it has to relearn how to idle? Is there something we need to do to correct this issue? If so, what?

Many thanks in advance!

Old 07-07-2014, 02:00 PM

Is there ANYONE who knows about transmissions and this sort of problem in this site???

Old 07-08-2014, 01:50 PM

The A/T fluid change was going to be my next suggestion. I just wanted to confirm that there are no other likely issues such as sensor malfunction or such. A/T fluid breaks down over time and the shifts will be more noticeable. If you search the forum, I'm sure you'll find multiple posts about using very specific A/T fluids (Mitsubishi brand). For whatever reason, the Jiffy Lube stuff does not work well in Mitsu's. If you have an opportunity to do a flush at the Mitsubishi dealer, that would be my recommendation. Otherwise, make sure that the fluid is matched on the specs. Don't believe the mechanic who says - it doesn't really matter, we use it on all cars and it works fine. Good luck. Give us an update if the flush fixed your problem.

Old 07-08-2014, 03:01 PM

As HunterD explained above i also would recommend to only use mitsubishi Diamond ATF in your mitsubishi tranny as well, no other brand will work on it on the long run.

Old 07-08-2014, 03:54 PM

Thank you Hunter and Maco. The is the first time I've worked Mitsubishis. I got to ride and drive one just prior to Desert Storm on the Iraqi/Saudi border, and was very impressed with the abuse they can take, and especially impressed with how well they do off road and low traction situations.

I'm familiar will how some engines and gearboxes can be manurfacturer sensative. I was going to ask about that next. My pick-up truck is not only sensative with its engine oil, but with its coolant too.

I thank you kind gents for the information. I'm going to take my daughter's Monty to the dealership and have them do a compleat service, to include flushing the transmission and changing all the fluids.

It's people you two who gives a site a great reputation. :-)

Old 07-09-2014, 12:42 AM

Honestly Akzle, I would expect a "Senior member" of the forum to be a bit more helpful in resolving the issues, rather than filling posts with smart a** comments. But now I can clearly see how one can be a "Senior" - post bunch of irrelevant and arrogant stuff so that you have to reply to other posts defending yourself with more arrogant and irrelevant comments.

You think naming cars is silly? Why so? Every fricking boat has a name proudly painted on the stern. Why not to have a fun name for your favorite ride? Because you are too cool? Grow up and get a life.

As far as the army mentioning. So what? The guy served and proud of it. Serving in the army gives you an whole different perspective on everything around you. I live in US and I must say I did not support the Iraq war. But that is not supporting the war itself. I still have the highest respect for the guys and gals who served and fought there. They did their duty and for that a big great THANKS to them.

Old 07-09-2014, 11:33 PM

Thanks PalmSprings. Good to know about this option. Done.

Old 07-10-2014, 10:03 AM

Ive owned my 2001 MS since new . I only use the mitsu recommende fl sp3 as i recall. ive only had to add about an 1 ounce of fluid a year ago due to some slippage i had noticed back then. that fixed it. it could have been a little more than an oz,Id have to look at my notes,but you get the idea.The MS and AT has 218,000 mi

Originally Posted by maco35
As HunterD explained above i also would recommend to only use mitsubishi Diamond ATF in your mitsubishi tranny as well, no other brand will work on it on the long run.

Last edited by PalmSprings; 07-10-2014 at 10:05 AM.
Old 09-08-2014, 04:26 PM
Default Florida 2000

The transmission oil that you have to put is :ATF DIAMOND SP3.In mitsubishi dealer cost around $16 quart.Anyway check your manual.

Last edited by danubi2000; 09-08-2014 at 04:33 PM.
Old 09-08-2014, 05:57 PM

Thanks everyone! I had my daughter change the transmission fluid to the factory fluid. At first, there was a little slippage, Not as much as before, but it was still noticeable. Now, there's no slippage.

My daughter and I took her Montero on tank trails on the local military base. I have to say I'm impressed with how sure-footed the Montero is!

Quick Reply: 2001 3.5L Montero Sport Automatic transmission problem