Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

2001 Montero 3.5L 6G74 XLS ' outlet ' heater core hose

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2016, 06:00 PM
Default 2001 Montero 3.5L 6G74 XLS ' outlet ' heater core hose

I'm trying to add a flush-T for back flushing. I have some PDF service manuals but not this section for this model, I guess. Even the 3.8L manual I have doesn't identify the outlet hose from inlet hose for that block.

I don't have rear air/heat in this one. I found the two hoses on firewall. They both go downward from firewall as if headed toward the rear of SUV, but I don't have rear heat, so they turnaround a couple of feet down and come right back toward the front and go their separate ways that I can't see too clearly.

Does anyone know which heater core hose is the outlet from the heater core? I'm trying to add a flush-T for purging the core and system because my heater air temperature is weak in this one.

Thanks!

Old 06-22-2016, 06:09 PM

I really wish Mitz didn't hire such unqualified dealer people at the customer assistance level too. I guess the apples don't fall far from the higher corporate sales tree, lol.

I call the nearest 3 dealer parts and service departments to see if I could get any help to ID the outlet heater core hose question. They are all 4 hours away, in the same large city.

All the parts people were helpful-friendly but not very witty or outgoing. They only knew of parts info anyone can pull up online (and I already had). So I called service depts. One service person told me the mechanics don't answer any questions because it's job security. One didn't get back to a phone call and email from 7 hours ago, nor answered the phone on 2 other callbacks. And one didn't know and wasn't sure he wanted to help at all. Maybe a lightbulb will go off for the last guru. I won't hold my breath.

Morons. Love the wheels; hate the American-Japanese company storefront. The dealers are reflecting slack jawed foolery back at the manufacturing part of the Japanese company. They need Toyota or Honda training, so it seems!

What do do with a company that can't grow over having only smart design and mechanical engineers? Their business sales arms are hacking their own company to death.

Old 06-22-2016, 06:41 PM
Default Answer: Upper hose is the heater core inlet / feed

I hope he's right cause I'm lazy! I just realized I have to pull both hoses anyway to do the flush right, lol. So I could have figured it out that way also. It just amazed me it didn't exist in a locatable source on internet.

So again, upper firewall hose on these is Inlet and lower firewall hose is the Outlet.

Old 06-22-2016, 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by wilde
I really wish Mitz didn't hire such unqualified dealer people at the customer assistance level too. I guess the apples don't fall far from the higher corporate sales tree, lol.

I call the nearest 3 dealer parts and service departments to see if I could get any help to ID the outlet heater core hose question. They are all 4 hours away, in the same large city.

All the parts people were helpful-friendly but not very witty or outgoing. They only knew of parts info anyone can pull up online (and I already had). So I called service depts. One service person told me the mechanics don't answer any questions because it's job security. One didn't get back to a phone call and email from 7 hours ago, nor answered the phone on 2 other callbacks. And one didn't know and wasn't sure he wanted to help at all. Maybe a lightbulb will go off for the last guru. I won't hold my breath.

Morons. Love the wheels; hate the American-Japanese company storefront. The dealers are reflecting slack jawed foolery back at the manufacturing part of the Japanese company. They need Toyota or Honda training, so it seems!

What do do with a company that can't grow over having only smart design and mechanical engineers? Their business sales arms are hacking their own company to death.
I don't know, I think it depends on the people who work in specific shop. I don't think you can generalize. I think this is just the dealers in your area that might be problematic.

I have a dealer couple hours away from me (where I bought my Montero), they had always been extra helpful in terms of locating part numbers or diagrams even if in some cases I turn around and get a part elsewhere (because it is not in stock and I can get it faster that way). Several times I was able to get info from them that was nowhere online. The mechanic that works there and works only on Monteros is great too. When I was doing my first timing belt job, I called them and talked directly to him. I told him that I am doing timing belt job and he explained how to best get to certain parts or how to move them out of the way instead of fully removing them. I guess he figured, if i screw up - he gets a bigger job. But I know he stays busy working of vehicles for people who are not willing to get dirty themselves.

At the same time, we have a Toyota and a Nissan dealership within 15 minutes from me and my friends who have those vehicles have exactly the experience you describe.

Old 06-23-2016, 12:06 AM
Default 3 hrs of heat & A/C idling & still mixed temps

Well heat worked fine this hot Summer afternoon, but in the winter the heat feels lukewarm compared to my other 2.

At least I know this hardly driven (by me) and unregistered Montero doesn't overheat or loose coolant. I idled it for 3 hours first half with heat on and second with A/C on max. And for 3 hours I used a digital stick (cooking) and a laser pointer thermometers to try to verify which hose was hotter with the heat on or the A/C on...they kept changing (alternating), even while in heat or cool mode! Arrgggh...somewhat frustrating. I was using two different hose locations about 3' apart from each other. Both locations kept flip flopping the temps. Maybe my thermometers...

I looked in my 3.8L manual and don't see a heater core isolation valve (or bypass) that keeps coolant from flowing into the heater core when the heat is off. Not sure why the hose temps would not be steady and consistently different if there isn't a heater core isolation valve.

Tomorrow I'm gonna find a pair of purge hoses, pull the top core hose and see if it pushes water out with Montero on. Then flush it it like crazy from both sides anyway and the radiator also.

Yeah you're probably right but I know the company has some kind of issues because it can't keep its business doing well in USA even though it has different and well designed vehicles. Companies aren't training and leading well in businesses, much less hiring wisely and conducting significant quality assurance checks after the hiring.