Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

2001 Montero limited questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2016, 03:12 PM
Post 2001 Montero limited questions

New to the forum and having a bunch of problems with my limited. To start. Brake pads slide on the drivers side. Messed up the caliber and rotor replaced everything and now abs light will not go off. Any suggestion?

Then the starter went now I am on the second starter and it will not disengage. Any suggestions?

Now the horn is constantly engaged will not frecking shut off except to pull the battery. Any suggestions?

When autozone hooked to my limited with their computer it come back with ERG failure code. What the heck? Why is everything going wrong at one time??? Any suggestions?

I do not have a owners manual or anything for this vehicle. So I do not know where alot of things are in the SUV. So any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 09-01-2016, 02:12 PM

The horn is a factory defect. You can just pull the relay for the time being. You can pull the steering wheel, disassemble it, and put strips of tape between the contact pad and that will take care of it. Horn will still work, but humidity is what is causing the problem. Contacts are too close and deform causing them to touch. I have made this modification to mine 5 years ago and all has been well.

Old 09-01-2016, 08:51 PM

That is a long list of problems
Is this a "new" to you vehicle or you had it for some time and problems developed over time?

Brakes - sounds like you had a bad brake job done and that's what caused the issues. Most likely you've damaged an ABS sensor or wire going to the sensor on the wheel where the caliper messed up.

Starter - did the mechanic who replaced the starter check the condition of the teeth on the flex plate? If starter teeth do not disengage, that is because you have a wrong starter (wrong size/shape teeth) or teeth on the flex plate are damaged enough that they catch on the starter gear and don't let it slide back once engine is started.

Horn - did you try to replace horn relay? That will at least let you know if this is a horn button or horn relay issue. I've seen many posts stating that this is a factory defect and many cars are affected by it. Not sure what to make of it. I've had my Montero for over 16 years and never had any issues with the horn. Perhaps I don't use it enough

EGR failure - that is too broad of a diagnosis (not really a diagnosis at all). There are many components in the EGR system. Most likely EGR solenoid had failed, but it can be EGR valve failure. It can even be as simple as carbon build up in the EGR passage that prevents the system from operating as intended. You'll need to test and diagnose each component, or have a proper mechanic do the diagnosis and repair for you.

If you intend to do any of this work yourself, the Owner's Manual will not help. You need FSM (Factory Service Manual). You can find links to them in the sticky post at the top of Montero forum thread.