Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

2001 Montero Ltd

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2009, 01:41 PM
Default 2001 Montero Ltd

Folks, recent buyer of a one owner '01 LTD with 142k on it. Good shape, DVD/TVs etc.

New to the Forum, looks great, lots of sound advice.

Looking for the heads up on anything you suggest I should get done/checked.

I have found a minor oil leak, any ideas?

Also the C/D light comes on, have just found a quick fix here.

The 'miles to empty' is way off despite being the petrol engine, can this be reset?

Anyone in Dallas/Ft. Worth area recommend a decent Mitsu mechanic?

Cheers - Neil

Old 10-02-2009, 01:55 PM

Oil leak from where? The most common source of oil leaks in these is the rear cam seal o-rings. Check the back of each cylinder head.

If so, pretty easy DIY. Use O.E. o-rings.

Old 10-02-2009, 01:58 PM

I'll take a look, it's dripping onto the skid tray, barely detectable. Is there just two rear cam seals?

Old 10-02-2009, 11:05 PM

one seal on that model, on the passengers side. valve cover gaskets also leak. do youi have any history on the timming belt? should be changed every 60k. trans fluid is a big concern also, if the fluid gets contaminated it can cause a shudder when lock up applies. HAVE TO USE MITSUBISHI TRANS FLUID. SP3. aftermarket fluid can also create a shudder. front cam seals also leak at high milage on the montero and the sport. also check the pcv valve. if it gets clogged, the back pressure can make all the seals leak oil. the miles to empty feature on your RV meter can be reset. there is a T.S.B on this issue. go to the website that lists t.s.b's for all manufatures and look it up. gives you a step by step guide on how to do it. hope this helps

Old 10-03-2009, 05:24 PM

How bout some pictures of the DVD/TV system that was installed on there?

Old 10-04-2009, 08:57 AM

I'll endeavour to take some and get them on here. The DVD head unit is in the main console in front of the shifters and there is a screen in the two front head restraints. Over the rear seats is the IR transmitter for the headphones.

Old 10-04-2009, 09:01 AM

jg... great, much appreciated. Had to top off the oil yesterday... I need to get her in and get it sorted! I have no details on the timing belt. It's been well looked after with one owner from new, I'm going o have it gone through and take advice from the mechanic.

Old 10-04-2009, 11:59 AM

redturbo, let me know if this link doesn't work for you, it's the dealers website and you can see the fit.

http://www.ecarlist.com/showroom/1473/photos/402535

Old 10-04-2009, 09:13 PM
Default Nice

Nice Montero, Rogue! It doesn't look like it has half that mileage, well maintained. I wish my rims were that clean, but living up here in the snow belt, the salt takes its toll on the clear coat and other things.

A quick comment on the oil/trans fluid:
Two years ago, I bought my 03 Montero with 58k miles and I changed everything over to synthetic, even the power steering fluid. Since then, I've put on 50k miles and it still runs like new.

my repair/maintenance history:
60k mile scheduled service (timing belt, plugs/wires, drain all fluids/replace with synthetic, sprayed underbody with Amsoil HD Metal Protectant)
New tires (Yokohama Geolander IT GO72)
replaced rear calipers and added cross-drilled rotors all around
replaced cracked exhaust manifolds (both banks!)
RV meter-LCD display failed (computer works, but the screen still need to get a new screen)
added class II/III towing hitch (hidden hitch)

Old 10-04-2009, 11:43 PM

Nice ride, pretty much like mine. I would suggest getting the rear spoiler, bumper guard, and window wind deflectors. Makes its look nice. Also mine has a step so it makes it easier for the kids to get in, if you have any.

Name:  5224940.jpg
Views: 491
Size:  31.2 KB

Quick Reply: 2001 Montero Ltd