Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

2001 Montero - Random hard starting

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2023, 10:19 AM
Default 2001 Montero - Random hard starting

I have a 2001 Montero (not Sport) with the 3.5L engine & 238,000 miles. Love this vehicle although I have had to replace several timing belts, crank shaft sensors, and quite a few other minor parts to keep it in good repair. But how can I complain with 238,000 miles ;-) Most recently I have had an issue of it taking two fairly long cranks to get the engine running. Normally, when it is cold it fires right up. However, in subsequent starts on the same day it takes the two long cranks for it to finally run. Once it is running, it sounds great and seems to have no issues. Any ideas what might be causing this intermittent hard starting issue? Is there a way to adjust the timing or check to see if it might be slightly off during the times that it is hard to start? Appreciate your time in sharing any of your wisdom.

Old 05-05-2023, 01:21 AM

Most likly what you describe is related to fuel delivery - i.e. weak or bad fuel pump. I had a simar issue close to 250k miles on my Montero. It turned out that my fuel pump went bad after all these miles. It was still original at this point. Once I replaced it, engine starts right away without any hesitation. You can replace the pump without dropping the tank. There is an access door for this under the second row of seats

Old 05-05-2023, 09:34 PM

Thank you so much, HunterD! I believe you are definitely on to what is causing my problem. I actually replaced the fuel pump maybe 30,000 miles ago. I had let the vehicle sit inoperable for a couple of years. Then when I went to get it running the fuel system was all fouled up. So I replaced everything . . . injectors, fuel pump. However, I used aftermarket parts. Maybe that is the issue. I do believe that this issue was only happening after I installed the new aftermarket pump. I will try to get my hands on an OEM fuel pump and see what that does. I really appreciate your time in responding to my question! Best wishes to you and your family!

Old 05-06-2023, 08:38 AM

Did you replace the big white in-tank fuel filter when you replaced the fuel pump?

Old 05-10-2023, 07:03 AM

I don't believe I replaced it but I did clean it out really good. That whole fuel pump assembly was full of dirt. I might as well replace that when I replace the fuel pump this time. Thanks again for pointing me in the right direction!

Old 05-22-2023, 08:14 AM

Well . . . I replaced the big white fuel filter in the gas tank with an OEM part and I still have the problem with it having a hard time starting on subsequent starts during the day. I do believe you are right about it being an issue with the fuel delivery. I'm wondering if it might just be a faulty fuel pump. It was aftermarket that I installed just a few thousand miles ago since I couldn't find an OEM online. Only other thing would be the aftermarket fuel injectors. But again, it runs perfectly fine after it starts. It just takes two pretty long cranks on the 2nd and subsequent starts of the day. It pops right off on the first start. I might see if I can drum up an OEM fuel pump on eBay or elsewhere. Thanks again, HunterD for your help in pointing me in the direction of some possible causes.

Old 05-22-2023, 11:33 PM

Have you thoroughly cleaned your throttle body? If not, take that TB off and give it a good cleaning, inside and out.

Old 05-26-2023, 08:48 AM

I'm still betting it's fuel delivery. Too bad you were not able to test fuel pressure especially after long time sitting (to replicate long franc condition). Couple possibilities come to mind:
1. Fuel pump not building pressure a weak pump
2. Anti-siphon valve on fuel pump stuck open. This will drain back all fuel from system when engine is off (no residual pressure).
3. Fuel pressure regulating valve stuck open and draining pressure the other way.