Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

2001 Montero Sport Torque Converter Clutch Malfunction

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2013, 10:58 PM
Default 2001 Montero Sport Torque Converter Clutch Malfunction

Hey forum members,

2001 Montero Sport XLS 3.0 4WD. 182,000 miles. Maybe you can help me understand what's up here and let me know if you think my mechanic is BSing me. Had a check engine light on and the code PO740 came up: Torque Converter Malfunction. Car felt fine. No shudders or weird noises. Drove normally. I brought it over to the mechanic. Now I'm no car expert but I'm no idiot either. Anyway, mechanic says, "we can't see the problem so we're going to have to go in to see what's wrong." Now, am I wrong or is the Torque Converter attached to the transmission and can come off on its own without opening up the whole tranny? Next, he quotes me $1500-$1800. Then he's telling me the gears are bad, the pump is bad, seals, etc etc and that this is going to run me about $3600!!!!! So I tell him, Its an old car. I realize things are going on it. Just fix the part that I asked and leave everything else be. He tells me, "Cant do that. Once you take things apart the paper seals break, the seals go, etc etc. You're pump is bad... It all need to be fixed." Well how should I know that once you take things apart you can't put them back together again. Basically, I'm racking up labor costs on the car and now I can't even get it back in the same condition I brought it in. So that's where things stand now. I need some serious advice. Do I tow my ride outta there? Do I go through with the repair? How can I get my car back the way I left it? Obviously I'd pay labor costs up to this point just to get it the hell outta there...

Old 05-10-2017, 11:20 AM

It's been a while but were you able to resolve the issue?