Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

2001 Montero Sport XLS Stereo Replacement

Old 01-28-2010, 10:11 PM
Default 2001 Montero Sport XLS Stereo Replacement

I know how to remove the old factory stereo. That part is easy. I am trying to replace it with an aftermarket deck. What I cant figure out is where are all the speaker wires? There are 3 main plugs on the back of the old factory unit with the exception of the antenna and power. 1.) your typical wiring harness with power, dimmer, ac power, etc... 2. & 3.) Are RCA type plugs.

I am assuming those are the speaker wires all bound into one? If so, how do you install to an aftermarket deck? I have replaced a ton of factory decks to aftermarket and have never seen these type plugs before. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Old 01-30-2010, 12:33 PM

can you post some pics of what you are talking about.

Old 01-30-2010, 05:01 PM

A lot of mitsubishis come with Infinity sound. Which means there is an external amp somewhere. Which means the stereo itself will not be the one powering the speakers, thus you may not see any speaker wires.

Some mitsubishi setups like this are wired in parallel, such as the 95-99 Mitsubishi Eclipse, which come in base models that don't come with anything so sound is directly from the deck.

What you may be describing is the proprietary DIN cable, which serves as the output wires for the external infinity amp. Do a search for "MITAH" adapter on ebay or google and you will see the proper harness.

Old 01-31-2010, 02:41 AM

I looked it up and its says that if you change the deck it recommends getting a low voltage adapter. Why is that and is in necessary.

Old 01-31-2010, 11:58 AM

Thanks for the advice guys. Looks like im gonna have to have a different aftermarket deck. The one I have only has 1 output on it. Its very old. Just thought i would install it to replace my stock infinity, the screen is busted. Thanks again.

Old 02-06-2010, 09:20 AM

If you order a stereo from Crutchfield.com they send you the entire wiring harness kit for free and instructions. Plus you can call them if you have any problems and they'll talk you through it at no charge.

I put in a new Kenwood stereo in my Montero Sport and it took 45 mins...removal and installation.

With Crutchfield there is no guess work or wiring cutting. Highly recommend you use Crutchfield.

DO NOT CUT ANY FACTORY WIRING!!! Crutchfield gives you the harnesses to connect to the vehicle wiring. It's super easy!!!

Good Luck!

Old 02-14-2010, 11:03 AM

I took off the infinity deck and on the back there's the antenna plug but what is the smaller plug that looks like the antenna plug.

Old 02-16-2010, 06:50 AM

Originally Posted by Hamlit2000
If you order a stereo from Crutchfield.com they send you the entire wiring harness kit for free and instructions. Plus you can call them if you have any problems and they'll talk you through it at no charge.

I put in a new Kenwood stereo in my Montero Sport and it took 45 mins...removal and installation.

With Crutchfield there is no guess work or wiring cutting. Highly recommend you use Crutchfield.

DO NOT CUT ANY FACTORY WIRING!!! Crutchfield gives you the harnesses to connect to the vehicle wiring. It's super easy!!!

Good Luck!
Best advice yet, Thanks so much

Old 02-16-2010, 06:51 AM

Originally Posted by 254chamorro
I took off the infinity deck and on the back there's the antenna plug but what is the smaller plug that looks like the antenna plug.
I am not really sure. One of the senior members on the board may know. I would assume that it has something to do with the power of the amp? I also had never seen a wire like that.

Old 12-23-2010, 05:00 PM
Exclamation

Originally Posted by 254chamorro
I am trying to fix my neighbors stereo while her husband is in Iraq, I too am stumbled by the little black plug that is next to the antenna plug on the back of her stock stereo.
What is it? Does it need to be plugged into her new stereo somewhere?
There is nothing plugged into the S-Video looking output of the stock radio so i assume that means she does not have the infinity built in amp.
I have installed dozens of stereos in Hondas, BMWs, Volvos, and Toyotas, they were all older models though so they were really simple. This black plug confuses me. Thank you for your help.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2001 Montero Sport XLS Stereo Replacement