Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

2001montero limited tensioner and valve question

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2021, 04:15 PM
Default 2001montero limited tensioner and valve question

Hi guys. I have a 2001 montero limited that has a shredded timing belt due to a faulty tensioner. My question is:

what are the chances The loose belt has NOT caused other damage ie: to the valves?

my mechanic says odds are it did damage .it said 30% change it’s ok beyond the timing belt/tensioner repair. It’s a 1000$ repair.

any experience/insights from anybody? I LOVE my Monty and want to keep it but it’s a gamble. Any help appreciated

Old 03-18-2021, 08:23 PM

Did the timing belt fail when engine was running (under load) or at idle? The chance if valve damage is thete (worsecuf under load and at high RPM). The question is how much damage is there? Best thing to do is to put on new timing belt, tben run a compression test to see if there are any issues with valves. If no - you're lucky. Reassemble and keep driving. If, unfortunately there is damage, pull tbe heads and replace couple of belt valves. Yes, this is a more expensive option, but bent valves is a relatively easy repair.

Old 03-18-2021, 10:31 PM

I don’t do my own repairs. If the belt did not snap but is frayed and loose from the tensioner is the likelihood of damage to valves less then if it snapped. I have been driving around with a clicking noise for months so it did not snap but it got worse I last week. What are the odds there is not engine/valve damage if the belt is loose but still working? I need to make a decision quick as it is at mechanic.any help MUCH appreciated

Old 03-18-2021, 11:06 PM

If the belt did not break, your chances of no damage are pretty good. Unfortunately, if you are paying someone to do the timing belt job, $1000 is about what you can expect to pay for parts and labor. Sounds like your mechanic is in that range with his pricing.

Old 03-19-2021, 09:55 AM

Well sir, based on your advice I am proceeding on the repair. It’s a crapshoot but I really love my rig. Besides, I’m finally getting all my stimulus checks so the gov is paying for the repair. Lol! If I had access to a garage I might try to do it myself but I do not. I’ll keep my fingers crossed and give you an update.

Old 03-19-2021, 11:03 AM

Throwing in my experience. My 2001 Limited also had the tensioner fail. Tensioner wasn't even a year old. Wonderfully loud tapping sound that I thought was the hydraulic lifters instead. I replaced those myself and was sooo happy when I fired the truck up and the sound was still there.

Regardless, I drove it for a few months that way until I found a post on this very forum from @HunterD that mentioned the tensioner. Took it back to the shop that did the repair and they replaced it. It was outside of warranty so it set me back ~$700 (I didn't own the truck when they did the original work anyway). Only difference is that they did not replace the timing belt as there was no damage to it.

Been running great ever since. Other than all the oil leaks...still working on those.

Old 03-19-2021, 11:10 AM

Well I hope it goes well. I just gave my mechanic the go ahead. I asked tons of questions culled from this site and YouTube and I appreciate you guys getting back to me.I’ll keep you all updated and thx!

Old 03-27-2021, 10:24 PM
Default Success and thx!

My montero runs! It was a random YouTube video I stumbled across that showed a man working on the EXACT same engine as mine who stated that the sound one might assume was valves/engine damage turned out to be a loose timing belt caused by a faulty tensioner . That gave me hope and the QUICK response and encouragement from you two gentlemen on the forum sealed the deal. It was not cheap but I got my Monty back and I am a happy camper.thx!

Old 03-27-2021, 10:27 PM

Great news indeed. Was curious as to what was happening with your rig. Congrats to you and really glad it worked out.

Old 03-27-2021, 11:13 PM

So few monteros left on the road here in the us I almost felt it was my duty to make sure mine was one of em.

Quick Reply: 2001montero limited tensioner and valve question