Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

2002 Montero Timing Belt

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2016, 07:27 PM

Hey everyone, would it be possible to get a link to am owners manual or timing belt replacement for a 2000 montero sport xls 2wd 3.0?

Old 07-12-2017, 03:51 PM

I think the links were posted on the first page. Need to visit a Russian site.

jim

Old 07-12-2017, 05:40 PM

If you had never had the timing belt changed - definitely do it. Monteros have an interference engine and if TB fails while the engine is running, it'll do a lot more damage than $1,100. The dealership price is definitely higher than you'd get from an independent shop. If you have a good mechanic who you trust - get a quote from him.

Old 08-28-2017, 10:06 PM

Originally Posted by struculeus
If you've ever changed out timing belts in the past, and you know what you're doing, I think it's a pretty easy job compared to some. If you post your e-mail, I'll send you the .pdf of the instructions how to do it (it's 1.5 MB).
J
plese send me the pdf

Old 08-31-2017, 01:39 AM

Do you know when was the last time (if ever) the timing belt on your Montero was replaced? If you do not know this and/or suspect that it is still original belt - you should definitely have it replaced. Montero engines are the Interference type. This means that if the belt breaks or jumps several teeth while the engine is running, you will do some serious damage to the engine. Result of this failure will be a complete engine overhaul or new engine. Yes, dealership quote for the timing belt is high. I remember when i was quoted the same price for it. It hurts to even think about it. But unless you are a confident at wrenching and have experience, you'll have to pay someone to do this work. You may want to check with an independent mechanic to see what price he'll quote you. I'd only let a mechanic I truly trust to do this work. Definitely do not go to a JiffyLube, QuickieMart type of places.

Old 02-21-2018, 05:49 PM

Hate to bring this back from the dead but I found this article useful a year ago when attempting to do my timing belt (which I ended up backing off on).

Any of you all know if you can replace just the water pump without being concerned over changing the timing? I had a water pump go bad in my 2002 MS 3.0 and need to get it to work for just a few months, and I still have the the kit I bought from rockauto. I called up some local places here in Charlotte North Carolina but seems the going price is over $1,000 for a full timing belt job. They didn't seem to want to quote me a price on just the water pump so now I am curious..

Any feedback would be appreciated!!

Eric

Old 03-05-2018, 02:18 PM

Of course you can replace just the water pump. The caveat is - you have to take off the timing belt in order to get to the water pump. But replacing one does not require replacing the other if the second component is in good shape or has a known (recent) replacement date. The issue you are running into is very simple - to get to one component you have to be exactly in the same place as to do the work on the other. This may be the main reason why shops are trying to sell you both jobs as one quote. I've seen it done both ways. Had shops quote everything and a kitchen sink, and other shops replace only the parts that needed replacement. When my Montero was getting first timing belt work done, I had a dealership replace the timing belt without replacing the water pump (they never even mentioned replacing the pump). But if you read the posts here on the forum - most places (and many tree shade mechanics) want to replace both belt and the water pump at the same time. I'm getting ready for a timing belt job on the Montero again. I purchased all the parts - the belt, seals, pulleys, water pump, etc. However, my water pump is working fine, so I think I might just leave it where it is and keep a spare pump on the shelf until a later date. Same goes for the seals. If they are bad (leaking) - I'll replace them. But if they are fine, I don't see a reason do do it.

Old 03-05-2018, 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by HunterD
Of course you can replace just the water pump. The caveat is - you have to take off the timing belt in order to get to the water pump. But replacing one does not require replacing the other if the second component is in good shape or has a known (recent) replacement date. The issue you are running into is very simple - to get to one component you have to be exactly in the same place as to do the work on the other. This may be the main reason why shops are trying to sell you both jobs as one quote. I've seen it done both ways. Had shops quote everything and a kitchen sink, and other shops replace only the parts that needed replacement. When my Montero was getting first timing belt work done, I had a dealership replace the timing belt without replacing the water pump (they never even mentioned replacing the pump). But if you read the posts here on the forum - most places (and many tree shade mechanics) want to replace both belt and the water pump at the same time. I'm getting ready for a timing belt job on the Montero again. I purchased all the parts - the belt, seals, pulleys, water pump, etc. However, my water pump is working fine, so I think I might just leave it where it is and keep a spare pump on the shelf until a later date. Same goes for the seals. If they are bad (leaking) - I'll replace them. But if they are fine, I don't see a reason do do it.
thanks for the reply! I ended up replacing the pump and it's gaskets anyway. Just buttoned the whole thing back up, timing appears to be perfect and it's running like a champ. Also the leak is gone.

Only caveat... my harmonic balanced is now wobbling. I think I may have left some debris on the surface of the balancer. I had a video of it but when I've tried to post it it says that a moderator has to approve so I guess I'll wait until then. Looking to get some feedback to see if it's wobbling too much (the crank bolt itself is tight, torqued to 134 ft lbs)

Old 03-06-2018, 03:27 AM
Default Water pump

The main issue with the water pump is its on a bushing with a limited service life. It can be running true and fine upon inspection and then wear out of tolerances without notice, especially if water is getting to it. My opinion, after you rip that far into it the pump is relatively minor to complete compared to having to disassemble it all again just to get to the pump. If the pump bushing fails it can seize and take out your timing belt and then you are looking at rebuilding heads (ouch !). I don't trust other mechanics to work on my cars but their logic, as stated, is sound. If you get a kit with the pump inclusive the additional parts cost is very reasonable. Bill

Last edited by Niobrara; 03-06-2018 at 03:44 AM.
Old 05-02-2018, 09:20 AM
Unhappy

Sorry to revive a thread but i have started this project to replace the timing belt and i am starting to get stuck in a hard place and a rock.

I must say MXer has some great detail on how to do it.

I have followed all the steps and replaced the water pump, idler pulley, tensioner pulley, auto tensioner, and belt. Was a kit from rockauto, when i place the new timing belt (of course the timing marks are where they need to be) back on following the order or crankshaft pulley, idler pulley, camshaft pulley, water pump, other camshaft pulley and lastly the tensioner pulley. How tight do you put the tensioner pulley in the beginning? Do any of you guys have pictures of how your tensioner pulley looks tighten? I think i might have tighten too much.

I purchased the little tool to hold the tensioner pulley and tighten it correctly but when i did that, removed the pin, and turned the crankshaft for two rotations my markings where wrong. The camshaft pulleys were back where they needed to be but the crankshaft pulley was 4 teeth behind its mark. Not only that but the auto tensioner pin was fully released and the pulley arm was not even resting on the auto tensioner.

I hope resetting the crankshaft pulley to TDC does not ruin the montero, but that is where i am at now. The new belt off, all pulleys at timing marks, tensioner pulley loose, and i have to reset the pin in the auto tensioner.

Quick Reply: 2002 Montero Timing Belt