Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

2003 20th Anniversary Montero stuck in Drive/Neutral.

Old 10-24-2015, 12:16 PM
Default 2003 20th Anniversary Montero stuck in Drive/Neutral.

My wife came home one day because she couldn't get the truck into Park (or reverse for that matter). I went to it, started it up and put it into Park just fine.

Last night drove it home and same issue...the button on the shifter which you depress in order to shift will not actuate, therefore not allowing me to get into park or reverse.

I'm looking around in the manual for some sort of brake interlock functionality. I'm assuming the relay or linkage is not working. Has anybody experienced this? I haven't been able to find anything yet.

I did look under the car at the transmission linkage and there doesn't seem to be anything wedged in there.

Any help is appreciated.

Old 10-24-2015, 12:47 PM

Ok I found some info in the manuals. 24Aa-35 shows the linkage. Its a mechanical linkage activated by a cable. Also found this post:

https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/mi...neutral-37913/

Seems to be related.

I will try and get into the linkage assembly and report back after cleaning/lubing.

Lube that puppy up!

Old 10-24-2015, 01:10 PM

I took the shifter head off and can see the plastic plunger that operates the linkage. It is easy to move up and down. I'm no longer thing I need to lubricate. I can easily push the linkage down and shift through the gears.

The plunger itself though, that goes in the shifter switch seems to be in two pieces...is this normal? It looks like it may have sheared off?

Old 10-25-2015, 07:36 AM
DZD

Not sure if related - but awhile back on a different vehicle (VW) I had a similar issue - it turned out that the fuse for the brake lights had gone out - w/o it, the shift lock mechanism wouldn't work - may not be the same issue but check to see if your brake lights are coming on.

Old 10-26-2015, 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by DZD
Not sure if related - but awhile back on a different vehicle (VW) I had a similar issue - it turned out that the fuse for the brake lights had gone out - w/o it, the shift lock mechanism wouldn't work - may not be the same issue but check to see if your brake lights are coming on.
I think that's a different problem... He can't shift INTO Park or reverse because the lock switch in the shifter isn't engaging.

The problem you had was the park/brake interlock solenoid wasn't activating because your brake light fuse was burned out (because it uses the brake switch activation to trigger the solenoid).. In your case there should be a little notch at one corner of the shifter with a button under it you can press to release that should it ever happen again and you need to leave right away.