Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

2003 Montero brake pads replacement?

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2005, 06:55 PM
Default 2003 Montero brake pads replacement?

Is there anything out of the ordinary to replace just the pads on a Montero? I do my own pads
on my Corvette and Lexus. I was going to do my friends brake pads Thursday and wanted to
get a heads up before I start. It should just be removing the calipers and pushing back the piston with a C clamp-right?
Thanks

Old 04-18-2005, 12:15 AM
Default RE: 2003 Montero brake pads replacement?

lolz....yep' easy does it.

Old 05-10-2005, 03:12 PM

It should be the same as your other cars. However, with all cars it is important to flush all the old fluid out prior to changing the pads. You don't want to push that old fluid from the caliper back into your system (especially the ABS system).

Old 05-11-2005, 09:57 AM

Why on earth would you do that for a simple pad change? I do not mean to be rude, it is just something I have not heard of doing unless you have contaminated the fluid or removed the line from the caliper.

Old 05-11-2005, 09:58 AM
pc

I've done this and it's easy. I file the outer edges of the rotor to remove the ridge that develops there from wear and rust. Also take some medium emery cloth and use a circular motion to take the glaze off the surface of both sides of the rotor. I also use the opportunity to re-lubricate the slides, but on a 2003 you will probably be ok. I've never done an ABS so taking apart the slides may be something you might want to research a little. As Winshawn said, changing fluid very important. I do mine once per year.

Old 05-11-2005, 10:08 AM

Well, You learn something new every day. A good thing to know as I will be doing my pads this month. Thanks

Old 05-11-2005, 06:30 PM

BMW recommends annual brake fluid flushes(at least they used to). I flush the fluid on my Montero when the pads wear out. That is about every 2.5-3 years (40k miles). That does not seem very frequent to me. Firedoc, check out the fluid when you flush it. It will be dark brown with floaties in it. Plus, brake fluid absorbs moisture. Dot 4 fluid is worth the extra couple dollars.

I think even the minimal flushes that I have done on my truck have helped. I have 150k on my 10 year old truck and all brake components are original.

One more thing. I have heard there is a risk of damage to the abs pump if you push the bad fluid from the calipers back into the ABS pump. To be safe, I would flush the system first. Then remove the pads. Then when you compress the cylinder you will be pushing "fresh" fluid back into the lines.

And, Firedoc, don't worry, your comment was not rude.

Old 05-19-2005, 10:28 PM

So what do I need to do this besides a bleeder? (I like to keep my work clean.) What are your thoughts on DOT 5? I try to upgrade anything I have to replace.

Old 05-24-2005, 01:40 PM

As far as tools, the only other tool I use is a turkey baster to remove the fluid from the master cylinder resevior.

I would definately stay away from DOT 5. It is COMPLETELY different than dot 4 and is incompatible. I have no idea how you would be able to remove all of the old fluid and then put in the DOT 5. I use DOT 4 because it is better than DOT 3 (higher boiling point) and only a couple bucks more expensive.

Old 05-26-2005, 03:22 PM

I will Do that, Thanks

Quick Reply: 2003 Montero brake pads replacement?