Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

2003 Montero Limited issues (and fixes)

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2017, 06:50 PM
Arrow 2003 Montero Limited issues (and fixes)

Epic first post time. Ok, after an exhaustive search over the past week, trial and error, and learning what the shady previous owners of the monty did to hide issues, i've fixed some of these, but some are still giving me major problems. I'll leave the solved ones here in case anyone else needs them.

1. Blinking center diff light every 15 mins (or every 10 or so miles going above 60mph) - Solved, drove a good distance off road in 4 wheel high and low

2. Rear seats would fold down, but not forward - Solved, held seats at 45 degree angle while pulling the latch on the back.

3. Doors wouldn't stay open when parked on flat (worse on any incline) - Solved - see this video

4. Rear sub not working (still need to fix, just haven't had the time)

5. No Aux port - Solved, installed aftermarket stereo with aux port using this harness
Amazon Amazon

6. Monty would die / stall after installing new battery - Solved, Lengthy idle re learn process completed (took an hour), also cleaned throttle body out with brake cleaner

7. Fuel gauge not working / fluctuating, broken. - Solved, re soldered r10 resistor on the back of the small box of the instrument panel.

8. Upon inspection of the fuel gauge not working I noticed the previous owner had glued a small tab to keep the temp gauge in the middle of the dial. Removed and the above fix worked for that as well.

Here are my unsolved mysteries:

9. No CEL, SC or TC lights during key on. Upon further inspection previous owner smashed the bulbs in the dummy light panel for Traction control (TC), Stability Control (SC), Check Engine Light (CEL) to keep them from coming on. The junkyard had a few 01s so i replaced all the broken bulbs with good ones (verified on the pins that do work) and the SC and TC lights now work, but the CEL does not light up on key on. Fuses are good, not sure what to try next.

10. No right turn signal indicator, turn signal still works, just do not get the green arrow in the dash, replaced bulb, and changed bulb to left side to verify it still works. Still no green arrow.

11. No brights indicator. Brights function fine, no indicator that they are on, same bulb switching as before, no luck there.

I'm assuming I will have to buy another cluster to address 9, 10 and 11, I just can't find any 03's for sale at the moment. Anyone else have any ideas?

12. TC and SC lights come on after hard accel. They go away after the car has been turned off and don't come back until I floor it again. No codes for this on the code reader.

13. White smoke out of the exhaust after idling for more than 5 minutes. Goes away after driving and doesn't come back until idled again. Valve seals?

14. Cruise Control does not work. Fuse is good, indicator does not light up when the button is pressed. Checked vacuum hoses all over the engine, they are good. Not sure what to do next.

I'll update these as I get them fixed, but hopefully someone can point me in the right direction. If I have anymore, I will update the thread as well.

Thanks in advance for the help!

Old 07-12-2017, 12:17 AM

Wow, this is indeed an epic work project. Good job knocking them out one by one and staying focused.

Old 07-23-2017, 08:46 PM

Great Vid welcome to the 2003 Monty. If you are in need of a different Sub replacement check out this...

Amazon Amazon

I bought this and has worked out great. When I got my Montero the sub was completely shot. It was pretty straight forward on how to install it. Had to peal back the rear pannel rip out the old one, then I just took some heavy duty zip ties and secured it to the factory drilled holes. Has worked flawlessly since. I have "infinity sound"

Also, if your diff light keeps blinking "mine would only come on over 60mph" then it just stayed on constantly, I replaced the Freewheel Clutch Control solanoid valve"

Amazon Amazon

It's a super easy fix and took me about 25 min to install. Now I can ship into any gear like new and no light comes on at all. The part is located next to the Washer fluid jug and I think you just need a 10mm socket.

Old 07-26-2017, 12:27 PM

I have a 2001 Montero XLS. I have had issues with the rear windows, and replacing the switch fixes them. Something like twenty bucks on eBay, from somewhere in China.
My driver's window is still a problem. It will roll down without issue, however, rolling it up is a challenge. When I try to roll it up, it will only go an inch if I just rolled it down. The longer I wait, the further the window will travel when I try to roll it up. It is definitely heat related. On hot days, I have learned not to roll the window down if I'm near work, since I will be sitting there in the parking lot waiting for it to roll up. I am thinking something is overheating - a thermistor or something to that effect. I am wondering if you or anyone else has had this issue.

Old 08-30-2017, 07:51 AM
Default cleaning idle air control valve

2002 montero xls-

symptoms- when turning on AC, the engine stalls immediately.

Thought of replacing valve, but costs from $178-315.00. This is not in my budget. what a rip off.

Pulled the valve and cleaned it and soaked it carb fluid spray overnight.
Sprayed out throttle bottle and air channels to valve. Lot's of carbon build up now cleaned out.

Took vehicle for a spin, got the engine hot, ran AC the whole time.
NO STALLING OUT.
Any questions, let me know.
thx
Howard

Old 08-28-2018, 11:33 PM

Originally Posted by hhughes0320
2002 montero xls-

symptoms- when turning on AC, the engine stalls immediately.

Thought of replacing valve, but costs from $178-315.00. This is not in my budget. what a rip off.

Pulled the valve and cleaned it and soaked it carb fluid spray overnight.
Sprayed out throttle bottle and air channels to valve. Lot's of carbon build up now cleaned out.

Took vehicle for a spin, got the engine hot, ran AC the whole time.
NO STALLING OUT.
Any questions, let me know.
thx
Howard

Hi ,

My montero limited 2003 stalls and dies at stop with ac...Cleaned the throttle body and maf sensor but i just cannot find the IAC .....if you have a picture or know where should i find it i will greatly appreciate.....Spend hours searching just cannot find it

Attached Thumbnails 2003 Montero Limited issues (and fixes)-img_2478.jpg   2003 Montero Limited issues (and fixes)-img_2481.jpg   2003 Montero Limited issues (and fixes)-img_2482.jpg   2003 Montero Limited issues (and fixes)-image1.jpeg   2003 Montero Limited issues (and fixes)-img_2483.jpg  

Old 08-29-2018, 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by eyehate
Epic first post time. Ok, after an exhaustive search over the past week, trial and error, and learning what the shady previous owners of the monty did to hide issues, i've fixed some of these, but some are still giving me major problems. I'll leave the solved ones here in case anyone else needs them.

2. Rear seats would fold down, but not forward - Solved, held seats at 45 degree angle while pulling the latch on the back.
Mine would fold but not forward either, I need to try this...thank you!!

Old 09-09-2018, 01:17 PM
DZD
Default Folding rear (2nd row) seat

Originally Posted by zidjan
Mine would fold but not forward either, I need to try this...thank you!!
I had a similar issue on the passenger side of the second row. I found a solution for this somewhere in this forum - in a nutshell - you have to pull up on the lever behind the seat back and fold the seat back down and the seat bottom up in one continuous motion - if you stop then try again it does not work. Once I learned this trick I've been able to do this as needed w/o issue (much to the amazement of the wife and kids).

To the OP - Great post by the way - I know it's been over a year but curious if you made more progress - re: the cruise control I was going to suggest ensuring that the brake lights worked - I recall on a different vehicle that the brake lights not working disabled my cruise control and the park shift lock.

Love this forum!