Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

2003 Montero LTD Update on Cam Shaft Sensor

Old 01-18-2019, 08:14 PM
Default 2003 Montero LTD Update on Cam Shaft Sensor

Aftermarket part defective, replaced with OEM, ran, driving home it died, back to the shop. Has been there since Nov, still throwing Cam Shaft / Crank Shaft sensor codes. Everyone wants to avoid replacing Crank. Some run time gave hint as main computer problem. Will not start at all under 45 degrees. Outside Temp gauge not working. Grasping at straws here. Only change to this vehicle (that never had any problems) was moving from my covered parking space, to outside in the spring, directly under 2 high power lines. Any thoughts, random / long shots, previous experience, I would love any input. Please and Thank you ! I don't want to give up on this SUV, but hubby is losing patience and doesn't want to just throw parts at it.....

Old 01-19-2019, 02:10 AM

Have you confirmed that your wiring harness between computer and the sensor is intact? Having this issue being temperature dependent and not getting fixed by replacing the sensor leads me in that direction.

Old 01-19-2019, 07:05 PM

Hello Hunter,

Thank you for the reply. The shop says they have checked all the wiring lengths and harnesses, just in case chipmunks got at it. I've been told the codes throw intermittently, and not always at the same time. It has not started since I brought it home, even sitting in the direct sun and going over 40 degrees. You know that when the battery gets weak, the temp and the compass usually don't work, like the SUV diverts power to necessary systems. I have to really wonder if the high tension wires affected the main computer in some way, you know how sensitive computers are. Unfortunately hubby does not like Montero, and the shop (reputable and decent) working on it was a "barter" situation. Once the storm clears, they said tow it back, but they only work on it here and there, when things are slow. It's a 5 hour plus job to change the crank sensor apparently, and no one wants to do it. Hubby did check with an acquaintance at the dealer, the right mechanic will be in on Tues for him to talk to, and he has a Montero too. Hopefully he'll have an idea, or solution, even if it isn't the one that people don't want to hear. Everyone is getting frustrated and very short tempered. I just want my truck back, but I don't know now if I will ever trust it again, IF it can even be fixed.

Old 01-20-2019, 02:05 AM

I'm sorry about your trouble. Honestly it shouldn't take 5 hours to change the camshaft sensor. Cam sensor is on the outside of the engine in the back of the head - two bolts, one electrical connector and its out. Even if you have to replace a crank shaft sensor (the one on the front behind the timing gear) it is still just a 2-3 hour job for a tree shade mechanic with limited tools. Sounds like the shop just doesn't want to bother with it. I don't know where you are located, but if you you are somewhere in the North West, I'd do it for you. PM me if you'd like.

Old 01-20-2019, 02:44 PM

Hi Hunter,

They already did the cam shaft, its the crank shaft they don't want to do. The dealer did the timing belt 4 years ago. The shop is taking their cue from hubby. I have an event in Boston the end of April, and the Ram will not fit in most parking areas and I refuse to take it in there anyway. I need my Montero back ! Oh I thank you so much for your kind offer AND taking the time to write ! Unfortunately, I'm in the North East (watching the snow right now). I'm actually looking on CL in the NW & W for Monteros right now, hubby would rather swap the whole engine, that's just how he is. He has no patience with modern electronics. I'll try and figure out the PM and let you know the final outcome. I'm not willing to give up that easily on only 84K ! Best to you !

Old 01-21-2019, 02:48 PM

LSimione, Attached is the schematic for the crank position sensor replacement. It sounds like you are due for a timing belt change, and replacing this sensor will make it very easy at the same time. You have to "clear" space in front of the engine for this job - remove accessories (alternator, PS pump, AC and the cooler fan). Do not disconnect AC compressor - just unbolt it and move it to the side. You can replace the sensor without taking off the timing belt job as well. However, you have to remove all timing belt covers to get to the sensor (but don't have to remove the TB). The sensor is sitting just beside the timing gear and is held to the engine by two little bolts. Once it's loosened, you might have to rotate the engine about 1/3 revolution, so that the sensor clears one of the "wings" of the inductor that is connected to the back of the timing gear.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Montero CrP sensor.pdf (1.19 MB, 8 views)