Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

2003 Montero Sport Transfer Case Problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2015, 10:56 AM
Default 2003 Montero Sport Transfer Case Problem

When I bought my Monty in 2010, I was so excited because it hard all I wanted but three months after, the first problem hit me. The on board computer went down. How could a 62000 mile car have such a problem? That cost me $3,000 to fix. Then last year the original transfer case developed a problem. I could not drive with regular all wheel drive instead I drive on 4H. I took it to a transmission guy who charged me $2000 to replace it with a used one but three months after the repair it went down. When I finally took it to the dealership I was told it will cost $4000 to fix. So I have decided to drive it until i can no longer move it than I will go get me a toyota or Honda. Sorry sometimes we just have to say goodbye to our expensive partners. My Monty is just another PIMA.

Old 01-19-2015, 11:20 AM

so you posted here, because...why?

Old 01-20-2015, 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by ikegwuru
...So I have decided to drive it until i can no longer move it ...
The question is - why TC failed and what failed with in it? Was it a mechanical failure due to lack of fluid or some other reason? Did someone drove it while ignoring a warning signs and caused it to croak completely? Judging by your stated attitude, my guess that ignoring a warning signs/sounds is your kind of thing and is a likely resulted in a failure. If you think Honda or Toyota will do better with the same treatment - good luck.

Old 01-21-2015, 04:20 AM

I invested much to acquire the car and so ignoring a warning sign or not maintaining the car is totally a waste of investment. Secondly, if the failure was due to ignorance of warning signs, that is perfectly understandable but there was no warning sign. The grinding noise caused me to take it to a transmission repair shop for them to check it out. I maintain my car frequently as recommended in the owner's manual. I am not an auto mechanic but that does not make me ignorant of basic maintenance.
My post was that of a regret rather than solicitation if you still care to know. And from your attitude, you sound more like a campaigner than an average Joe who owns a Mitsubishi. Thank you for approving my choice of new car. It is really thoughtful of you.

Old 01-21-2015, 12:36 PM

Old 01-21-2015, 01:49 PM

You still didn't answer as to what failed within the TCase.

Old 01-21-2015, 03:05 PM

Oh You Internets. When will people stop bickering as if everything said here is a personal attack?

Ikeg, you're right a 62K mile car doesn't have these problems. But I hope that you can empathize in that a great many people here are approaching 200K + miles without the issues you describe.

When I was looking for a Montero, I checked out a 2001 that was on sale on Craigslist. When I got there it was mechanically OK, but had been beaten around. Whomever had the car before had removed the rear seatbelts (a real WTF moment). A carfax showed that it had been in several accidents (all undisclosed). The seller said he wanted to ship it to mexico but could not.

Now, what does this have to do with yours? You've had three problems that are uncommon to all three (or four) generations of Montero/Pajero/Shogun. What happened to the car in its previous lifetime can genuinely impact your experience, regardless of make and model.

Of course, I have to ask if its possible that you've been taken (i.e. hoodwinked) by your mechanic? Computers don't just stop working, unless you do something like hook up the battery wrong, or weld on the car, or things involving electricity. Besides that, what cost $3000? Getting a new computer from mitsubishi would be expensive, but that is kind of an odd thing to do given the number of junkyards across the US.

Then the transfer case not working? I've read on these forums that there is a situation where the transfer case lever won't engage into 4L, and this problem is independent of the case itself - more like a linkage issue. Now, if I were a mechanic, and I didn't know or research this - I would charge you for a used transfer case and be done with it without investigating further. Now, of course the dealership will charge you more than the value of the car to fix the transfer case - its what they do.

These trucks are reliable Japanese - like the older Toyota Land Cruisers. They are not 'pseudo' Japanese like Isuzu (was) and Nissan (is). Based on everything I've experienced with the Monteros, it would seem that you bought a lemon =(. Now, thats not to say that the Monteros are perfect - they are susceptible to rust (gen I, II) and certain parts are getting expensive to find new. In any case - a Toyota or a Honda would make a fine vehicle. I would also recommend a new mechanic, perhaps one who warranties their work.

1996 Montero SR 186,000 miles. Just came back from a round trip from MN to VA.

Last edited by MNalfa; 01-21-2015 at 03:16 PM.
Old 01-21-2015, 06:58 PM

Amen brother. Couldn't have put it any better. Thank you.

Old 01-22-2015, 09:27 AM

Well I don't know about you guys but I'm still wondering what exactly happened to the T case just in case it happens to someone else....

Old 01-22-2015, 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by 2001Mitch3.5XS
Well I don't know about you guys but I'm still wondering what exactly happened to the T case just in case it happens to someone else....
I think this is EXACTLY the point of this forum. If there is a problem, we as community want to know what the issue is, how to fix or prevent it from happening. Just complaining about something and calling quits doesn't help anyone.

Quick Reply: 2003 Montero Sport Transfer Case Problem