Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

2003 XLS 3.8 v6 Issues

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2014, 11:14 AM
Default 2003 XLS 3.8 v6 Issues

I bought a 2001 XLS with a 2003 engine from a mechanic. Found out that the guy sucks at his job!! After a few weeks of driving, one of the oil hoses on engine side came off while driving and ALL oil lost. I had no indication until engine stopped running while I was driving! Had it towed home, put hose back on, tightened all hoses, filled oil, but it wouldn't start. Tried everything, but nothing. Finally, jump started it with other car and it started!

Since then, there has been a knocking type noise. The noise has change sounds and type, but is consistent now. Almost like a rod, but also kinda like an exhaust leak. It has full engine power, but feels like the timing is off. It has other issues, too.

> lowered MPG
> brakes feel like warped rotor, but all 4 rotors and pads new (by me, not mechanic)
> that stupid noise
> idles high sometimes - randomly, I can't find a pattern

This all started after oil problem. I have been driving it this way for over a year now, but am tired of this and have some money to fix it. I was thinking computer? Please help!!

Old 03-05-2014, 10:21 PM

The knocking noise is the cam, this is an important engine part which is at the top of the engine, It is loud because it has got too hot and bent out of shape slightly, so it can no longer turn so easily, causing the noise but it can be repaired.

Being starved of oil is bad for all of the engine components, especially the cam though which is high up and furthest from the oil storage area, which is called the sump. This sump should normally contain around a gallon(5 litres) of oil which is pumped up onto the cam and other parts.

This cam turns fast when the engine runs and needs a coating of oil in order to keep it cool, by stopping friction from movement. And other parts such as valves and pistons will need a clean coat of oil on them each time the engine turns

Old 03-05-2014, 10:21 PM

if you need a used 3.8l engine for your montero hit me up, i have a parts one in my garage.

Old 03-07-2014, 09:31 PM

Thanks for the info, it's always good to make sure people understand what could be going on. I used to own a '65 Chevelle Malibu with a 283, and installed a beefier cam, 327 heads, and a 350 turbo trans with a shift kit. I understand the internal issues that can arise when running an engine without oil. The noise has changed some. Started out very loud and the truck wasn't running quite right. Now, the noise is quieter most of the time, and sometimes really not there at all. But when the noise IS louder, the brakes feel warped and it idles high also. I was hoping there was one common cause to the multiple problems the truck in having since the oil spill. I really don't want to tear into it and have not be the cam.

Old 03-10-2014, 05:28 PM

have you taken it to a tech?