Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

2004 MS Transmission Questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2020, 08:36 PM
Default 2004 MS Transmission Questions

Hey! New member - first post.
2004 Montero Sport 156K. Started getting some transmission shudder / chatter. Transmission place here in town (Portland) had it ten minutes and said "rebuild!". Not sure that's needed...yet!
I've had the MS since 2006 @ 46K. I've never done any work / maintenance on the tranny. I know...I know....no excuses.
My question is whether I should just try one of those "shudder repair" additives, get a fluid change, or go for the whole tranny flush.
I have read about the two main schools of thought here. One being to leave it alone, because a flush will destroy the transmission. Versus, do the flush! Flush it NOW!
Anyway, any advice would be great!

Old 02-21-2020, 08:37 PM

Do you know when was the last time transmission fluid was replaced? What color is fluid on the dipstick? If it is anything but nice bright red, do a fluid change first. Drive around and see if it improves. Old fluid caused clutches to slip. Replacing it with fresh one (correct one!!!!) improves things dramatically. Make sure you use Misubishi fluid. These transmissions are finicky in terms of "compatible" fluids. Some people say they work, at the same time there are too many stories where they make things worse. The cost of Mitsubishi fluid is nearly the same as off-brand and you only need about 5 quarts. You can (don't really need to) do a 90-95% fluid change without dropping transmission pan out. All you need to do is the following:
1. Disconnect transmission cooling line going to the cooler.
2. Run engine in neutral until fluid stops coming out.
3. Stop engine.
4. Add couple quarts of fresh fluid back to transmission.
5. Run engin again in neutral until clean bright red fluid starts to come out.
6. Stop engine.
7. Reconnect cooling line.
8. Add fresh transmission fluid according to specifications (probably 4 quarts or so).
9. Start engine and manually shift through all gears while stopped. Leave shifter if each gear for 2-3 seconds. repeat process couple times.
10. Check fluid level (with engine running) and add more fluid if needed.

Old 02-28-2020, 11:48 AM

@HunterD - thank you for all this info. It's a bit above my pay grade, but no less beneficial!

So, as I understand it, I should never use any OEM "equivalent" transmission fluid?

Thanks again!