Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

2005 Montero Suspension

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2015, 08:53 AM
Question 2005 Montero Suspension

I am trying to replace my front and rear suspension for a better/softer ride. I have 2005 Limited Edition Montero, any recommendation which brand works best for our Monty? Went to the dealer for OEM quote and it will run me around $1200 with parts and labor to replace the front and rear shocks and struts.

Old 04-29-2015, 02:58 PM

Are you looking to replace just shocks or springs too?

Old 04-29-2015, 07:33 PM

Man that is crazy expensive! I would look into an independent mechanic. Theres nothing special about mitsu suspension "shocks and struts" that should make it a $1200 job. For that much you could buy an ome 2" lift that comes with hd coils, shocks and struts then find a mechanic who could put them on...which should be just about any mechanic that you would trust to take it to.

I would check out some bilsteins.
shocks and struts should be anymore than $300 then another $200 to put em on...if that.

Old 05-02-2015, 08:18 AM

I would start shopping ebay and amazon as there are so many options to choose from but just pay attention to the details making sure they are for your full size limited and not the sport. The rear suspension isn't very sophisticated to do yourself and the front is a little more time intensive but also a do it yourselfer can do as well. As far as the special tools required like the ball joint tools and spring compressor, they are easily obtainable from local part stores to rent for a very small fee. I refuse to overpay those outrageous costs witha shop if I can do it myself!! The only thing I would suggest after replacing springs and shocks is to have a professional alignment done afterwards.

Old 05-03-2015, 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by jhill15
Man that is crazy expensive! I would look into an independent mechanic. Theres nothing special about mitsu suspension "shocks and struts" that should make it a $1200 job. For that much you could buy an ome 2" lift that comes with hd coils, shocks and struts then find a mechanic who could put them on...which should be just about any mechanic that you would trust to take it to.

I would check out some bilsteins.
shocks and struts should be anymore than $300 then another $200 to put em on...if that.
Completely agree with this. You can get a great suspension upgrade (springs and shocks) for under $1,000.

Old 05-04-2015, 10:41 PM

Originally Posted by HunterD
Are you looking to replace just shocks or springs too?
Just the shocks and strut ... the springs are still good.

Thanks for all the help ... any brand name that's good to look at?

Old 05-06-2015, 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by AmanteNYC
Just the shocks and strut ... the springs are still good.

Thanks for all the help ... any brand name that's good to look at?
Bilsteins, ome, kyb. Those are good brands

Old 05-06-2015, 10:26 PM

Another question ... are there any front struts that comes with the spring? The way i look at it, i will still need compression tool for the spring. I was viewing some videos at youtube and they look pretty straight forward when you buy a front strut with springs.

Old 05-08-2015, 12:28 AM

You can rent a spring compressor from many parts stores. Using it is pretty straight forward process, you just need to be careful. When I did my suspension, I ordered springs and shocks and they were not assembled together - I had to compress springs to get them onto the front struts. BTW, I went with OME suspension and I'm EXTREMELY happy with the vehicle stance, ride quality and the quality of the parts.

Old 05-12-2015, 01:00 AM

yeah i was leaning for OME struts and shocks. found some good prices at ebay and im planning to do it my self when the weather gets better and have some time off.

Quick Reply: 2005 Montero Suspension